[comp.graphics] More on Liang-Barsky Polygon Clipping

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (03/05/87)

  I recently posted some questions about the correctness of
  the published version of Liang and Barsky's polygon clipping
  algorithm.  Some more thought has convinced that it does
  not handle vertical and horizontal lines properly.  I made
  a patch to the algorithm and now have it running (the patch
  actually simplifies the code, though I hesitate to call it
  a fix, since it's ugly).

  In any event, if I'm correct (remember I'm desparate, and
  desparate people believe anything), this must have come up
  before.  I would still appreciate being pointed to a proper
  fix.

  Thanks!
	Steve Wampler
	{.....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

martin@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (05/16/87)

To: comp.graphics
Subject: Implementing Fat Lines
Newsgroups: comp.graphics
Bcc:

I am looking for references or pointers on implementing fat lines -- I have
a program working for "nice" lines with mitre joints, but I have found that
there are a lot of not so nice lines that create problems.  I'm just wondering
how other people have dealt with fat lines, rounded joints, and fat lines
that have outlines on them.  I'm curious because I never see any references
to the problem anywhere, but fat lines seem to be pretty common.

Thanks for any help,

Liz Martin

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/17/87)

In article <12028@topaz.rutgers.edu> martin@topaz.rutgers.edu writes:
> I am looking for references or pointers on implementing fat lines [...]
> I'm just wondering how other people have dealt with fat lines, rounded
> joints, and fat lines that have outlines on them.

	Check out PostScript's solution.  In particular, look up "stroke",
"setlinewidth", "setlinejoin", "setlinecap", and "setmiterlimit" in
"PostScript Language Reference Manual" from Adobe/Addison-Wesley.  The
PostScript method may not be what you're looking for but it's interesting
and worth knowing about.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016