[comp.graphics] size of polygonal databases

hultquis@unc.cs.unc.edu (Jeffrey P. Hultquist) (06/03/87)

The results from the "how big is a database?" survey are in, and the
moral is that polygon counts are very slippery ...

> From: David Zeltzer <dz@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
>
> "george" is a human skeleton database created by don stredney, and
> animated by myself as part of my graduate work done at the computer
> graphics research group at ohio state university in '83 & '84. george
> consists of about 20k polygons.  for example, his skull consists of
> about 1900 points & 2000 polys; his pelvis ~1300 points and ~1900
> polys.   george is almost, but not quite, fully articulated. i.e.,
> most of the large bonesare controllable as separate objects, but many
> small bones in the hands and feet are grouped together as single objects.
> note that i'm happy to supply this information for your survey, but
> the database is not available for general distribution.

> From julian@riacs.edu (Julian Gomez)
>
> I think the Chrysler is actually described with Bezier patches.
>
> The Pysanka (Resch's Ukrainian Easter Egg) has 3552 polygons.
> George the skeleton from Ohio State has about 18000.

The Chrysler *may* have been described with patches, but here at
UNC, we have a copy built from 70,000 triangles.  Of course, if
you had access to the patches, you could make an even bigger
database!  :-)

> From: nick@tranc2 (Nick England)
>
> GEHAUSE test part - approx. 600 polygons

Hmmm ... I have drawn the "gehause" (also known as the MBB) myself,
using data in a CSG representation.  Once again, the same "data"
and as many polygons as you would like.

Further messiness ... an interview of Whitney and Demos at Digital
Productions (CG+A, July 1984, pp. 7-8) says that the "Gunstar"
contains 648,000 polygons, and the *average* frame contains a
quarter-million.  (The cover of this issue shows a number of these
ships, almost certainly digitally composited.  If I matte a number
of images together, should I add the polygon counts of each cel?
Well ... probably not, but maybe so.)

Finally, several folks have requested copies of the "Gunstar."
I can't help you; I don't have a copy either.

--
   Jeff P.M. Hultquist                decvax!mcnc!unc!hultquis
   UNC Chapel Hill / Comp Sci         hultquis@cs.unc.edu