[comp.graphics] CSG programs

pyle@lll-lcc.UUCP (06/18/87)

Has anyone implemented a scan-line solid modelling program similar to the one
presented in "A Scan-Line Hidden Surface Removal Procedure for Constructive
Solid Geometry", Pete Atherton, SIGGRAPH, July 1983?  Has any also implemented
a solid modeller using ray tracing?  I am looking for source code.  I have a
complete ray tracing program I can give in exchange.  The code must be in
the public domain.  I have an active-edge ray tracer already written for my
Masters Thesis and I desire to turn it into a solid modeller.

Thanks,

Ernie Pyle

angerhof@esunix.UUCP (Norman Angerhofer) (06/20/87)

In article <928@lll-lcc.aRpA>,  pyle@lll-lcc.aRpA (E. Pyle) writes:
>... Has any[one] also implemented
>a solid modeller using ray tracing?  I am looking for source code.  I have a
>complete ray tracing program I can give in exchange.  The code must be in
>the public domain.  I have an active-edge ray tracer already written for my
>Masters Thesis and I desire to turn it into a solid modeller.

I'm not sure if the source code is still around, but it's worth a shot:

Shoichi Kitaoka did a lot of work a few years ago on ray tracing an
extended CSG structure, including a project in a graphics class and
a Masters thesis entitled "KIT: An Experimental Solid Modelling System."
(June, 1985, University of Utah, Dept. of Computer Science.) One example
of his results is picture #3 on the back cover of the 1985 SIGGRAPH
Proceedings (Computer Graphics, Vol. 19, No. 3, July 1985.)

His current address is:

 Shoichi Kitaoka
 Hitachi Software Engineering Co., Ltd.
 6-81, Onoe-Machi, Naka-ku,
 Yokohama 231, Japan

Maybe someone at the U. of Utah still has some of his code around that
could be copied with his permission.

--Norman Angerhofer, Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
                     ...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!esunix!angerhof