[comp.graphics] Point inside... & BONUS CONCEPTS

trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU (06/23/87)

In article <859@pixar.UUCP> ph@pixar.UUCP (Paul Heckbert) writes:
>POLYGON TYPE   TIME    METHOD
>
>star           O(logn) binary search on angle from "center" of polygon, test
>                       inclusion in a single triangle
>                       (decompose polygon into triangles radiating from center)
>                       this method requires preprocessing.

I'm glad to finally see some discussion of complexity in this group!
The question I have is why isn't preprocessing pervasive?  If there
are only a small number of tests per polygon, or the number of edges
is small, sure, other than that, the use of clever data structures
``wins.'' How many people out there raytrace polygonal objects?

Dobkin & Lipton are credited by Preparata & Shamos for the notion of
creating new geometric objects to permit binary searching.  I forgot
the reference, but a lot more than just star-shaped polygons can be
tested in O(log n) time.  The basic idea is to build a tree data
structure that partitions the polygon into regions, and later, regions
that do not influence the decision are not tested against.

I advocate the multiple implementation approach, enabling the algorithm
that fits with your particular input distribution.  It really counts
if you are at all interested in making movies, and your artists go gonzo
with polygons.

Perhaps we need a speed-based point-polygon contest for the raytracers.

I am interested in how many universities have graduate courses in
computational geometry.  A seminar doesn't get as many points, but
I am still interested...  Please send directly to <trainor@cs.ucla.edu>

        Douglas

[][] trainor@cs.ucla.edu
[][] ..!{sch-loki,silogic,randvax,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor
[][] trainor@eric.sidewinder.snake