[comp.graphics] Broadcast Digital Video Effects

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (06/26/87)

(...had trouble posting this as a followup, sorry.)
In article <2026@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, hedley@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:
> In article <1171@osiris.UUCP> phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) writes:
> >Question for all you serious broadcast people out there: I imagine the
> >original chroma key hardware was analog.  Is it still done that way, or is
> >it done digitally now?  ...
> I've heard of full digital units which do digitize the incoming video.

All of the big video switchers have, since about 1979, digitized video as part
of their processing.  The ability to squeeze a full screen image into a smaller
area in a TV picture without cropping or camera tricks requires (I believe) such
a unit.  These units can do all sorts of mapping of TV images onto (apparent)
3D surfaces, "digital strobing" (a sort of video echoing), "pixilazation"
(averaging blocks of pixels to reduce the apparent number of pixels) and many
other things.

Specifically regarding how chroma keying is done now, analog is still the norm
for most places, but the ultimate chroma keyer is called UltiMatte (TM).  It's
digital and smart, so its keys don't leave those annoying edges around the
weatherman and glitches in his hair when he's in front of the blue screen.  The
Cars video "You Might Think" and the California Cooler commercials use extensive
digital video effects and are a good example of how "clean" the images generated
by these units are.
--
bbs:  (713) 933-2440	voice: (713) 933-9134

john@datacube.UUCP (07/02/87)

> Written  8:22 pm  Jun 25, 1987 by karl@sugar.UUCP in comp.graphics */
> ---------- "Broadcast Digital Video Effects" ---------- */
>
>... but the ultimate chroma keyer is called UltiMatte (TM).  It's
>digital and smart, so its keys don't leave those annoying edges around the
>weatherman and glitches in his hair when he's in front of the blue screen.
>bbs:  (713) 933-2440	voice: (713) 933-9134

I believe you are incorrect about  the UltiMatte.   It  is a strictly
analog beast.

As  I  recall  the  unit croma  keys an  RGB source  over another RGB
source.    It  can  also key  a composite  source (NTSC  or PAL) over
another composite, but to do this it requires RGB  for the forground.
It uses the  RGB from  the forground  to develop  an analog "Keyhole"
signal.  I believe the key  signal is  proportional to  the amount of
blue in the signal where there is no green or  red present.   The key
signal is then multiplyed against the background to  make the cutout.
The  key  signal  is  also  subtracted from  the blue  channel on the
foreground, removing the unwanted blue background  from the forground
image.  The processed forground and background are  then simply added
together to make the final image.

				John Bloomfield

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!john
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!john
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!s, b

shep@datacube.UUCP (07/02/87)

>All of the big video switchers have, since about 1979, digitized video
>as part of their processing.

Wrong. "big video switchers", the most sophisticated being the multiple
M/E switchers used in post-production, have video paths that are almost
entirely analog. These switchers are frequently connected to digital
special effects machines like Ampex's ADO. ADO digitizes incoming video
and key signals, manipulates it digitally, then converts it back to
an analog singal for the switcher. Someday "all digital" studios will
be widespread. Not today.

>The Cars video "You Might Think" and the California Cooler commercials
>use extensive digital video effects and are a good example of how
>"clean" the images generated by these units are.

True. But truth is stranger than reality: I worked at Charlex where
both those reels were produced and although both spots have the sharp
"Charlex" look, their posting techinques couldn't be more different.
The Car's piece was done by rolling a half dozen quarter million dollar
tape machines in sync to produce an end result that was only second
generation. The CC commercial was done using the digital keying of
the Abekas A62 digital disk recorder. Both techniques result in
multi-layer opticals that don't suffer from degradation; the latter
currently being all the rage in post houses worldwide.

Shep Siegel
Datacube Inc.  DSP Products Group  4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma. 01960
UUCP: shep@datacube.COM
VOICE: (617) 535-6644;  FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125