[comp.graphics] Consumer-Grade Single-Frame VTR's

thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) (06/23/87)

Someone in rec.video recently mentioned that Sony had come out with
a consumer-grade video deck and camera system which could record
single frames. Hence, this would be ideal for those graphics buffs
who wish to make computer-movies a frame at a time.

I just called my local Sony distributor and he didn't have any
information to give me on this product (model 110).

Does anyone know more about this product? I'm looking for specs,
cost, ordering info, the works.

I have never used a single-frame VTR. Does anyone out there have
experience in these matters that they would share?

Ken
--
     /\
  /\/  \/\

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) (06/24/87)

In article <846@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) writes:
>Someone in rec.video recently mentioned that Sony had come out with
>a consumer-grade video deck and camera system which could record
>single frames. Hence, this would be ideal for those graphics buffs
>who wish to make computer-movies a frame at a time.
>
>I just called my local Sony distributor and he didn't have any
>information to give me on this product (model 110).

Believe it or not, Macy's sells this animal.  According to their
ad, it does not record single frame.  Rather, it records in 8 frame
bursts and can be set to record one burst per 30 seconds.  (I
don't know if this is "up to 30 seconds", or "30 or longer", it
just said "30 seconds".

I'm going to check the camera stores in this area on the possibility
of renting one.  If I get my hands on one, I'll tell the net.

It occurs to me that an eight frame burst is actually a better idea
than single frame recording as it provides much more redundancy per
"frame", and probably averages the noise caused by starting and stopping
the tape over several frames.

On another note, a friend of mine is in the market for a semi-professional
video camera system.  He wants flying erase heads, wide bandwidth, good
editing capability, but insists on VHS.  (Poor guy.)  I said I didn't
think there was such an animal, except maybe this Super-VHS everyone's
talking about that's supposed to come out soon.

Not having the slightest interest in VHS, and being somewhat cautious
about "S-VHS" after JVC pawned off a bandwidth DECREASE as "High Quality",
(Gawd, I'd like to hire their marketing department!) I didn't pay much
attention to press releases and netnews articles on this product.  Any
rumors on a VHS editing deck, or is that even *possible* given the kludgy
transport mechanism?

				Ron
--

	Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
	seismo!amdahl!cerebus!ronc

	"Down, boy"
			"Woof"

larson@sri-unix.ARPA (Alan Larson) (06/25/87)

In article <180@cerebus.UUCP>, ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) writes:
> Not having the slightest interest in VHS, and being somewhat cautious
> about "S-VHS" after JVC pawned off a bandwidth DECREASE as "High Quality",
> (Gawd, I'd like to hire their marketing department!) I didn't pay much
> attention to press releases and netnews articles on this product.  Any
> rumors on a VHS editing deck, or is that even *possible* given the kludgy
> transport mechanism?

  It looks like you have little experience with VHS.  Have you ever taken
one apart and looked inside?  The transport mechanism is beautifully simple.
There should be no trouble with building such a machine for editing.
(I still would not want to recommend editing on a 1/2 inch machine.)

   Why do you claim that HQ is a bandwidth decrease?  While I would agree
that the increase in bandwidth is miniscule, if any, there is nothing I
have seen to indicate that there is a decrease in bandwidth.

  As for marketing departments, they seem almost identical with Sony.
Both sides of the VHS-C vs 8mm advertising looks more like a political
smear campaign.  No information, just lots of dis-information.

	Alan

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (06/25/87)

In article <180@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) writes:
>Believe it or not, Macy's sells this animal.  According to their
>ad, it does not record single frame.  Rather, it records in 8 frame
>bursts and can be set to record one burst per 30 seconds.  (I
>don't know if this is "up to 30 seconds", or "30 or longer", it
>just said "30 seconds".
>
>It occurs to me that an eight frame burst is actually a better idea
>than single frame recording as it provides much more redundancy per
>"frame", and probably averages the noise caused by starting and stopping
>the tape over several frames.

Actually, an 8 frame burst would probably be perfectly acceptable
for what most people in this group have in mind: computer animation.
This assumes, of course, that noise is minimal.

After recording your 8 frame bursts, you could then see the results
of the animation (abit slow tho, and jerky) and after you were happy
with it, could redub it using a borrowed/rented tape editor...
(too expensive to buy, but very fun to play with, we used one to
take a copy of Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" video and redub it
1 frame --> 30 frames, revealing the fact that during one of her
dance sequences her top falls down for about 3 frames)

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose."

philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) (06/26/87)

In article <180@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (sysadm) writes:
>It occurs to me that an eight frame burst is actually a better idea
>than single frame recording as it provides much more redundancy per
>"frame", and probably averages the noise caused by starting and stopping
>the tape over several frames.

If eight identical frames is the smallest unit you can write on the
tape, you get an effective 7.5 frames per second - not very impressive
unless you can run the tape at somewhere between 4 and 8 times the
recording burst speed.

If the deck will record a burst of eight non-identical frames and you are
trying to use the deck as output for normal speed computer animation,
even if your computer can sequence the desired images at the video output
fast enough, you will run into the severe sychronization problem of
getting your computer to run eight frames of pictures AT SPEED into the
recorder in SYNC.

I am not saying that it can't be done, but the 30 second wait is the
real killer if you want to make sequences of any length quickly.  I guess
if you lick the synchronization problem, the speed of any graphics
software running out there is slower than 3 and 3/4 seconds a frame
(taking into account the speed of recording and the 30 second wait).

The deck must have some kind of 'burst record sync' output in order
to be useful at all.

--
Kirk  : Bones ?                |  Phil Mason, Astronautics Technology Center
Bones : He's dead Jim.         |  Madison, Wisconsin - "Eat Cheese or Die!"

sgf@nancy ( _/**/Sam_Fulcomer ) (06/26/87)

I believe that they do exist (I'm trying to find one to buy; I just started
looking yesterday). Panasonic Industrial is one possibility for a supplier.
Their AG-1950 (~$900 discounted) is an "editing" machine, but I haven't
discovered whether it actually records single frames. An editing controller
AG-A95 is also available for ~300 (discounted).

Anybody out there know of any others?

					sam

		BITNET		sgf@BROWNCS
		CSNET		sgf@cs.brown.edu
		ARPANET 	sgf%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net
		UUCP		{ihnp4,allegra,decvax,princeton}!brunix!kiut

piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) (07/01/87)

The Sony CCD-V110 does 8-Frame recording.  In otherwords, any animation you
try will be jerky, since 8-frames translates to about 1/4 second.

Bob

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (07/02/87)

In article <4195@hplabsb.UUCP> piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) writes:
>The Sony CCD-V110 does 8-Frame recording.  In otherwords, any animation you
>try will be jerky, since 8-frames translates to about 1/4 second.
>
>Bob

But does it provide some sort of signal indicating exactly which eight
frames it is recording ? ( So that one could buffer eight frames of
video at a time, and record all eight in a burst ? )

Hedley

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/03/87)

	Not really consumer grade, but Sony makes an MVR-5500 still video
recorder.  It records 25 frames or 50 fields on a video floppy disk, with
random access.  Composite and RGB in/out.  Not cheap (under $3400).
Presumably you use this to record a bunch of frames then copy them all to a
Umatic recorder (with edit controller) in one shot.  Probably get the whole
schmear for under $15k.

	I'm not really a video freak, but a friend of mine who works in the
industry recommends Discount Video Warehouse (800-323-8148) as a good place
for this kind of stuff.  Then again, he doesn't bat an eyelash at the
thought of $15k of equipment just to make video tapes.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

crds@ncoast.UUCP (Who Am I) (07/06/87)

There is a Panasonic recorder that does single frame recording. The model is
the AG-6050.  It is used in surveliance systems, and may or may not be
available to the general public (I am still checking).  The OEM price is
about $2600.00, and I will be looking for more info on how to get one.  It
is possible that I may be able to purchase them, but NO promises!

Glenn A. Emelko

(614) 263-7118

Call me, or reply to crds@ncoast.UUCP

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (07/08/87)

In article <339@astroatc.UUCP>, philm@astroatc.UUCP (Phil Mason) writes:
> If eight identical frames is the smallest unit you can write on the
> tape, you get an effective 7.5 frames per second - not very impressive

That should be 3.75 frames per second; NTSC provides 30 frames per
second, as alternating (even/odd scan lines) half-frames each 1/60th
of a second long.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.