[comp.graphics] Computerized Enhancement of Pictures

hhm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Mayo) (08/12/87)

Where can I find information about the computerized enhancement of
black and white pictures to recover images not apparent on the original
print. How is it done? Is it applicable to film? What reference sources
are available?

                                                  Larry Mayo
                                                  AT&T Bell Laboratories
                                                  Naperville, Ill

thomson@udel.EDU (Richard Thomson) (08/13/87)

In article <5013@ihlpa.ATT.COM> hhm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Mayo) writes:
>Where can I find information about the computerized enhancement of
>black and white pictures to recover images not apparent on the original
>print. How is it done? Is it applicable to film? What reference sources
>are available?
>                                                  Larry Mayo

I believe what you are referring to is called contrast enhancement.  The basic
idea is to take a histogram of the image and redistribute the small range in
grey scale over the entire range from black to white.  There is a very good
reference on this technique as well as others for processing images using a
computer.
	_Picture Processing_, (Azriel) Rosenfield & Kak

This was the textbook in a course I took on image processing.  Rosenfield is
an old-timer in the field of digital image processing.  He reviews articles
for the IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications magazine and has published
at least two editions of this book.  The latest edition comes in two volumes,
although the information on contrast enhancement is in the first volume.  I
don't have the second volume, so I don't know what's in it. :-(

As far as its applicability to film, you would probably want to take an
'average' histogram to find a contrast expansion scheme that would uniformly
increase the contrast in the whole film.  I imagine that if you treated each
frame as a separate photograph, light scenes would be darker and dark scenes
would be lighter than desired

						Rich Thomson
--
Rich Thomson		Aspiring Grad Student	  ARPA: thomson@louie.udel.edu
Forget Mars, we've got business on the Moon.	  UUCP: don't know

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (08/13/87)

In article <5013@ihlpa.ATT.COM> hhm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Mayo) writes:
>Where can I find information about the computerized enhancement of
>black and white pictures to recover images not apparent on the original
>print. How is it done? Is it applicable to film? What reference sources
>are available?

   The computerized enhancement of black and white pictures is a very
   broad and mature field and there exists thousands of volumes on the
   techniques involved. A brief summary would probably include the
   following steps -

   Image capture :

     The film or other source for the image is placed in front of a
     video camera or CCD array scanner and the image is reduced to an
     array of dots. The number of dots depends on the resolution of the
     device used, typical sizes are 640x480 (near TV quality picture),
     512x512, or on higher resolution systems 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048.
     The higher the resolution, the more dots, and the better the image
     will look on the screen, but it will take correspondingly longer to
     process. The capture device feeds the intensity value for each dot
     to a device called an analog to digital converter, which assigns
     a numeric value to the intensity. The typical range for intensities
     is from 0 to 255 (Which happens to fit nicely in an 8-bit computer
     byte).  The digitized image is then stored on computer disk or in
     computer memory as a two dimensional array of values.

  Image enhacement :

     Several types of image enhancement are possible. The most common,
     and most visually effective, is histogram equalization. If the
     original image is washed-out looking, where the black isn't very
     black, or the white isn't very white, or everything is just sort
     of gray, then if you look at the intensity values of the digital
     image they will use only a small portion of the available range.
     Out of the possible 0 to 255 , they may only use say, 80 to 120.
     One way to correct this is to calculate a histogram of the intensity
     values of the image. This would be an array with 256 locations, where
     each location would hold a count of how many dots in the image had
     that particular intensity value. Histogram equalization can be done
     by replacing each dot in the image with a value corresponding to the
     percentage of dot s in the image that are lower in value than this
     dot. Lets say that in our image a dot had the value 81, and that one
     percent of the dots in the image had values less than 81, we would
     the 81 with one percent of our available intensity, or about a 2.
     If another dot had a value of 120, and 99 percent of the dots in
     the image had values less than 120, then we would replace the dot
     with 99 percent of our possible intensity , or about 253. This process
     makes the black areas get very black, the white areas get very white,
     and in between areas have more visible contrast.

     An out of focus image can be made to look more in focus by a technique
     called  edge enhancement. To do this we look  at all the closest
     neighbors of a dot in a 3x3 area within the image , with the dot in
     question at the center. By replacing the dot in the center with 9 times
     itself, minus one times each of its eight neighbors, and by repeating
     this for each dot in the image, the picture will suddenly look sharper
     and more focused. One drawback is that this will exaggerate any
     graininess in the picture.

     There are dozens of other usefull techniques to enhace the digital
     version of images, far to many to go into here.

  Image display:

     A CRT display of the image that is being processed can be created
     using a display controller which converts digital intensity values
     for each dot of the image into analog intensities that can be shown
     on a display tube.

  Image Hardcopy:

     A new physical copy of the picture that was enhanced can be produced
     by sending the digital values for each dot in the image to a device
     such as a film recorder or laser printer which can produce dots of
     varying intensity on paper and thereby reproduce the intensity values
     of the image as a physical picture.

     More detailed documentation on all this can be obtained from text
     books on digital image processing which are available at any large
     university book store in the conputer science section. If you would
     like to actually buy equipment to do this sort of processing a simple
     low cost system for the IBM PC is available from Media Cybernetics
     by the title of 'IMAGE PRO'. More expensive, but higher speed and
     higher resolution systems are available from companies like VICOM
     of San Jose, CA. and Matrox of Ottawa Canada.

     If you have more specific questions, or would like to take a look at
     the image processing system that my company produces, email to me

     seismo!cbosgd!ihnp4!wlbr!etn-rad!jru

     or physical mail at

     John Unekis   ms208
     EATON corp.
     31717 La Tienda Dr.
     Westlake Village, CA. 91359

hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu.UUCP (08/14/87)

Ah, that clarifies some things with me.  I am doing some things with
cellular automata, such as diffusion-limited aggregation simulating
crystal formation, dust clustering, plant growth, etc.  I had often
heard that automata was used for image analysis/processing/enhancement/
whatever.  I had not really realized how this would be done, but what
was just said about 9xthe cell - each of its surrounding neighbors is
perfect for automata encoding.  Maybe I'll run something like that on the
machine I've been using (a Cellular Automata Machine from MIT's lab,
it updates a 256x256 grid 60 times/sec, with each cell having 4 bits).

                             -D.H.
----
David Hiebeler       hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu
Chatham, NY         "Illusions, Richard!  Every
(also Troy, NY)      bit of it illusions!"

hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu.UUCP (08/14/87)