[comp.graphics] Sculpt 3D, ray tracing.

In article <365@io.UUCP>, carlos@io.UUCP (Carlos Smith) writes:
> an arbitrary curved surface. At rendering time (ray-tracing modes only) a
> surface smoothing attribute applies what seems to be either Phong or Giroud
> shading to the faces, making them appear much smoother than they are.

If the faces are shaded (either flat or via Phong or Giroud shading) then it's
not doing ray tracing. Phong shading, where you average the normals to the
surface across the face, is similar to what you do to smooth ray traced
objects. Unless I'm completely wet, though, Giroud shading is done by averaging
the colors of the corners across the face... which is completely alien to
what you do with ray tracing.

That's not to say I'm not completely wet... but I don't think so.

Also, is "Giroud" the correct spelling?

Have you seen the recent issue of Science News with the incredible ray-traced
image in it?
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter
--                  U   <--- not a copyrighted cartoon :->