[comp.graphics] Creating Color Images

milan@uvabme.bme.virginia.edu (Milan DiPierro) (08/21/87)

I am an undergraduate student at the University of Virginia.  I am looking
for information dealing with the display of color images.  More specifically
I am interested in converting black and white images into color.  Recently I
have read articles dealing with black and white movie colorization that touch   upon this subject.  Also there was a newspaper article in the New York Times
describing the latest generation of copiers that willbe making full color
spectrum copies.

These articles were not very helpful in that they did not provide detailed
descriptions of the processes involved or of the software used.  Ideally, I
would like to get a hold of some algorithms that deal with color display using
the RGB color gamut, the IHS gamut, or any other gamut.

Additionally any references to material that might prove helpfully would also
be appretiated.
--
#                                                                             #
# Long live: Bruce Springsteen, the Turnpike (exit 11), and the Jersey shore! #

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (08/28/87)

In article <115@uvabme.bme.virginia.edu>, milan@uvabme.bme.virginia.edu (Milan DiPierro) writes:

> 								     Ideally, I
> would like to get a hold of some algorithms that deal with color display using
> the RGB color gamut, the IHS gamut, or any other gamut.
>
> Additionally any references to material that might prove helpfully would also
> be appretiated.

I am interested in color image processing, and haven't found a lot of material
yet. One book that I copied some info. out of, was mostly a description of
work done at JPL with Mariner photographs - maybe you could get them to send you
some references. They gave a transformation from RGB to Hue, Saturation, &
Intensity, and then suggested the use of conventional Image Proc. on each of
the 3 images. If that is useful, send me mail, I'll dig up the reference.
    Anyway here is what I have to offer: a modest article on colorization in
the August '87 IEEE Spectrum, pg. 50. At the end of the article, they note the
lack of published material, but mention the July '84 SMPTE Journal as having a
landmark article: "The Development and Application of Colorization".
	SMPTE = Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
They list its location as Scarsdale, N.Y. Hope it helps. Please post any
algorithmic information that you find useful to manipulate color images.

					- Mike Finegan
					...!hal!uccba![ucece1!]finegan

avi@hpcehfe.HP.COM (Avi Naiman) (08/31/87)

/ hpcehfe:comp.graphics / milan@uvabme.bme.virginia.edu (Milan DiPierro) /  2:17 pm  Aug 20, 1987 /

> I am interested in converting black and white images into color.

Take a look at the August '87 issue of IEEE Spectrum.

Avi Naiman
Hewlett Packard & University of Toronto
(415) 857-6310
avi%hpcehfe@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpcea!hpcehfe!avi

rusty@vertigo.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (09/02/87)

In article <3040003@hpcehfe.HP.COM> avi@hpcehfe.HP.COM (Avi Naiman) writes:
>/ hpcehfe:comp.graphics / milan@uvabme.bme.virginia.edu (Milan DiPierro) /  2:17 pm  Aug 20, 1987 /
>
>> I am interested in converting black and white images into color.
>
>Take a look at the August '87 issue of IEEE Spectrum.

I believe the August '87 issue of BYTE had something by Steve Ciarcia.
He got down to the nitty-gritty implementation details but at a hobbyist
level.

					-Rusty-

Line-eater fodder
Line-eater fodder
Line-eater fodder
Line-eater fodder
--
Rusty Haddock		{ihnp4,cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!vertigo!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories	      Holmdel, New Joysey

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (09/02/87)

One of our local commedians came out on stage and said he had a part time
job colorizing Ansel Adams prints.