[comp.graphics] need info on screen printers

czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) (10/12/87)

Can anybody steer me toward vendors of screen printers?  I need something that
can faithfully reproduce a 256 gray level image at a resolution of 512x512.
Since a full 256 gray levels isn't really necessary for production of a good
monochrome image, that criterion can be reduced to, let's say 64 gray shades.
I'd like the image produced to be full paper size - 8.5x11.

From what I've heard, machines of this sort run $10k and up.  I am aware of
the cheap printers from Mitsubishi (I think) that  provide ok images but are
not good enough.  I've also heard about machines that work with Polaroid and
35mm cameras, but I need a direct hard-copy for archival purposes.

Any suggestions?  Price is not a problem, quality is.

Thanks in advance...

Ted Inoue

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (10/13/87)

In article <502@vax1.UUCP> czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) writes:
>Can anybody steer me toward vendors of screen printers?  I need something that
>can faithfully reproduce a 256 gray level image at a resolution of 512x512.
Ted,
try CILAS/ALCATEL. They make a superb monochrome printer. It will do 256 gray
levels and up to 2048x2048 resolution, and will zoom a 512x512 up to fill
the frame if requested. We have used their machine and find it to be quite
good. It has IEEE-488 or Centronix interfaces, and comes with C compatible
driver libraries.

Contact Vladimir Nuta at (617) 444-9011 and tell him John sent you.

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (10/15/87)

In article <294@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) writes:
>In article <502@vax1.UUCP> czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) writes:
>>Can anybody steer me toward vendors of screen printers?  I need something that
>>can faithfully reproduce a 256 gray level image at a resolution of 512x512.
>Ted,
>try CILAS/ALCATEL. They make a superb monochrome printer. It will do 256 gray
>levels and up to 2048x2048 resolution, and will zoom a 512x512 up to fill
>the frame if requested. We have used their machine and find it to be quite
>good. It has IEEE-488 or Centronix interfaces, and comes with C compatible
>driver libraries.
>
>Contact Vladimir Nuta at (617) 444-9011 and tell him John sent you.

Also, Seiko Corp. makes a very fine color copier.  Has a variety of adapters
for various video feeds, etc.  Ours came from Ted Sowinski, CAM Corporation,
Birmingham(?), Mich (313 area code).  Tell him Robin sent you.

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl