[comp.graphics] Two questions.

mascagni@acf4.UUCP (Michael Mascagni) (10/09/87)

Two questions:

1. Does anybody have the
        red(T), green(T), blue(T) functions for the black body radiation
function where T is the absolute temperature of the radiating black body?
If so what is it?

2. If I have three (assume colorwise independent) light sources of given
wavelength, how do I determine the coefficients to obtain a color of another,
known wavelength as a combination of the other three colors?

                            Michael Mascagni

Address: National Institutes of Health
         Building 31, Room 4B-54
         Bethesda, Maryland  20892
         (301) 496-4325
         mascagni@acf4.nyu.edu (arpanet)

turk@apple.UUCP (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (10/13/87)

In article <12630002@acf4.UUCP> mascagni@acf4.UUCP (Michael Mascagni) writes:
>Two questions:
>
>1. Does anybody have the
>        red(T), green(T), blue(T) functions for the black body radiation
>function where T is the absolute temperature of the radiating black body?
>If so what is it?
>
>2. If I have three (assume colorwise independent) light sources of given
>wavelength, how do I determine the coefficients to obtain a color of another,
>known wavelength as a combination of the other three colors?
>

>                            Michael Mascagni
>
>Address: National Institutes of Health
>         Building 31, Room 4B-54
>         Bethesda, Maryland  20892
>         (301) 496-4325
>         mascagni@acf4.nyu.edu (arpanet)

The book "Color Science" by Wyzscki & Stiles has the answer to these and
other similar questions, except that you'll have to convert from (x,y,Y)
chromaticity coordinates to RGB coordinates depending on the characteristics
of the phosphor in the monitor you are using.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
UUCP: {mtxinu,sun,nsc,voder}!apple!turk

awpaeth@watcgl.UUCP (10/16/87)

In article <6465@apple.UUCP> turk@apple.UUCP (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>In article <12630002@acf4.UUCP> mascagni@acf4.UUCP (Michael Mascagni) writes:
>>Two questions:
>>
>>1. Does anybody have the
>>        red(T), green(T), blue(T) functions for the black body radiation
>>function where T is the absolute temperature of the radiating black body?
>>If so what is it?

On converting black-body color temperature to RGB coordinates:

(1) get temperature in deg K. If in millirems, use (deg K) * (mrem) = 1e+6.
(2) interpolate the table (created by integrating CIE chromaticity curves
    against the Stefan-Bolzmann curve for a perfect black-body radiator). This
    gives CIE chromaticity coordinates (x',y')
(3) Compute z' = 1-x'-y'. Define the column vector [x' y' z'].
(4) Pick a representative 3x3 matrix (below) based on your definition of "RGB",
    and compute:

[R]    [     ]   [x']
[G] =  [ MAT ] * [y']
[B]    [     ]   [z']

The result [R G B](transpose) will be of constant perceived intensity, and you
might wish to apply a scaler multiply to provide desired final brightness. You
will have to decide what to do if colors are "out of gamut", i.e. if they do
not lie in the range [0..pixelmax]. This happens for highly saturated or
bright colors.

     /Alan Paeth

Table (black-body CIE chromaticity coordinates)
-----

Temp-K	x'	y'	peak wavelength (nanometers)

  100	.735	.265	695
  300	.734	.266	684
  500	.721	.279	641.5
 1000	.625	.345	606.7
 1500	.586	.393	594.8
 2000	.526	.413	588.9
 2500	.477	.414	585.2
 2854	.4476	.4074	583.5
 3000	.437	.404	582.9
 3500	.405	.391	580.9
 4000	.380	.377	578.9
 4500	.361	.363	577.2
 4800	.351	.356	575.1
 5000	.345	.352	572.6
 5500	.332	.341	0
 6000	.322	.332	0
 6500	.313	.323	485.7
 7000	.306	.314	483.7
 8000	.295	.305	481.5
10000	.281	.288	479.4
24000	.253	.253	477.0
infin	.240	.234	475.7

Matrices (derived through matrix inversion from chromaticity coordinates which
were measured (matrix 1,2) or are defined (matrix 3,4)
----------

1.93   -.545  -.325	Electrohome monitor (empirical)
-.945  1.77    .045
 .015  -.222  1.28

 2.00 -.955 -.273 	Aydin monitor (empirical)
-1.00 2.18  -.091
 0.0  -.227 1.36

1.73 -.48 -.26		based on NTSC definition of RGB chromaticity (derived)
-.81 1.65 -.02
 .08 -.17 1.28

 2.13 -.92 -.40 	RGB = 600, 550, 450 Angstroms (derived)
-1.14 1.94  .17
  .01 -.02 1.21