[comp.graphics] GKS on IBM-PC

marshek@ut-ngp.UUCP (11/02/87)

Anyone out there has GKS subroutines for IBM-PC to draw simple
geometric shapes?
Anyone used any software involving input through a Houston
Instruments hi-pad digitizer?
Thanx
MAt Johns

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) (11/09/87)

contact our sales people or go to an ibm software outlet.  ibm sells our
CGI, VDI, CGM, and GKS.  we have drivers for a plethora of displays, printers,
plotters, cameras, input devices, etc.  ibm sells the drivers for ibm products,
of course, but we have driver packages available.

we also have a variety of products available for a lot of unix systems, also.
sco now sells cgi for 286/386 xenix, and we are currently developing a
high-performance x window systems for the 386.

disclaimer: i just work here.

-- jdm
--
John D. Miller
Graphic Software Systems (GSS), 9590 S.W. Gemini Dr., Beaverton, OR, 97005

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/10/87)

In article <4022@gssc.UUCP> jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) writes:
>contact our sales people or go to an ibm software outlet.  ibm sells our
>CGI, VDI, CGM, and GKS.  we have drivers for a plethora of displays, printers,
>plotters, cameras, input devices, etc.  ibm sells the drivers for ibm products,
>of course, but we have driver packages available.

GSS does indeed have implementations of the CGM and GKS standards,
and they have been selling their private device interface (VDI) for
some time.

However, I find it pretty amazing that you sell "CGI", when the CGI
standard hasn't even been completed!  X3.161-198x just went through its
first ANSI public review, and DP9636 completed its first ISO DP ballot
this summer.  We know that there will be another interim draft
generated this coming spring, and a second DP ballot (and second ANSI
public review) starting some time next summer or fall (a year from
now).  The current schedule means that CGI won't be technically frozen
for at least a year, and possibly closer to two.

Would you care to clarify for the net-reading graphics community just
exactly WHAT your "CGI" product is?

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	Representing Hewlett-Packard on ASC X3H3.3
	Representing the U.S. on ISO TC97/SC24 CGI and CGM Rapporteur Groups

                "...like a song that's born to soar the sky"
UUCP     : ...hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea from
	   {ihnp4|cbosgd|allegra|decvax|gatech|sun|tektronix}
           or ...hp-sdd!andrea from {hp-pcd|hpfcla|hpda|noscvax|gould9|sdcsvax}
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@ {nosc.mil | sdcsvax.ucsd.edu | hplabs.HP.com}
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) (11/16/87)

andrea:

some time ago, GSS upgraded our VDI product to reflect the enhanced
functionality of the proposed CGI.  at this time, we also added additional
functionality and improved on existing primitives.  the things we added include
such things as raster-ops, off-screen bitmaps, fast ellipses, faster lines,
better font model, etc.

as you point out, ANSI has not yet standardized CGI, per se.  it is a proposed
standard.  our product is one implementation of it.  it also happens to be
included in dozens of OEM's and third-party software vendor's products -
companies such as including IBM, AT&T, SCO, Ashton-Tate, Microrim, et al.

if you have any further questions regarding our product line, please contact
our director of marketing, dan fineburg.

-- jdm