[comp.graphics] Graphics card for a Sun3

priol@irisa.UUCP ( 407) (10/20/87)

Does anyone have informations about  a high resolution graphics
card for a SUN3 which have a 24 bits planes and a resolution
512 x 512 or more ?

Thanks
Thierry PRIOL
mcvax!inria!irisa

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (10/25/87)

In article <141@irisa.UUCP>, priol@irisa.UUCP ( 407) writes:
> Does anyone have informations about  a high resolution graphics
> card for a SUN3 which have a 24 bits planes and a resolution
> 512 x 512 or more ?

Actually there are at least two that I know of :

	1) the GDS-3800 Sun Pak which consists of an add-in graphics
	   controller board set and software for Sun-3s.
	   Resolution up to 1280x1024 with 16.7 million displayable
	   colors (24 bitplanes).  According to their ad the Sun
	   Pak also increases vector drawing, polygon and raster op
	   functions by a factor of 10 to 20 times. Pricing begins
	   at about $5250.
		Address :
			Tech-Source Inc
			2955 Xenium Lane
			Minneapolis, MN 55441

			Tel: 612-559-5716

	2) Sun (formerly Trancept i believe) TAAC-1 Graphics and
	   Applications Accelerator.  They claim 20 to 100 times
	   speed increase.
			Sun Microsystems
			2550 Garcia Ave
			Mountain View, CA 94043

			Tel: 415-960-1300

Please note : I have never worked with either card nor have *any*
affiliation with any of these companies.

pun@cui.UUCP (PUN Thierry) (10/26/87)

In article <141@irisa.UUCP> priol@irisa.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone have informations about  a high resolution graphics
>card for a SUN3 which have a 24 bits planes and a resolution
>512 x 512 or more ?
>
>Thanks
>Thierry PRIOL
>mcvax!inria!irisa

Have a look at the Trancept Systems board, which is a graphics/
image processing add-on for Suns. It can have 24 bit/pixel. It is
based on a special architecture with very long instruction
words. Sun actually acquired Trancept Systems (or is in the
process of acquiring it). More details were posted some
time ago in Sun spots. There is also a brochure, certainly
available at your nearest dealer...
Bonne chance !
        Thierry Pun
        Centre Universitaire d'Informatique, University of Geneva
        12, rue du Lac
        CH-1207 Geneva SWITZERLAND          Phone : (22) 87 65 82

        EAN    : pun@cui.unige.ch
        UUCP   : seismo!mcvax!cernvax!cui!pun
        BITNET : pun@cgeuge51

corbin@encore.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <141@irisa.UUCP> priol@irisa.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone have informations about  a high resolution graphics
>card for a SUN3 which have a 24 bits planes and a resolution
>512 x 512 or more ?
>
>Thanks
>Thierry PRIOL
>mcvax!inria!irisa

There is a company called Univision that has just come out or is about to
come out with a 1280 x 1024 x 26bits graphics card for the Sun.  I believe
there are 24bits per pixel with the extra 2 bits for overlays.

They are located in Burlington, Mass., phone (617) 273-5388.
--

Stephen Corbin
{ihnp4, allegra, linus} ! encore ! corbin

shep@datacube.UUCP (11/17/87)

Datacube recently announced the MaxView display controler for its MaxVideo
family of image and signal processors. It supports 8/16/24/32 bits pixel,
at *any* output rate up to 125 MHz. Contact sales and marketing lifeforms at
the address below for more information: (try glen@datacube.com)

Shep Siegel
Datacube Inc.  DSP Products Group  4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma. 01960
UUCP: shep@datacube.COM
VOICE: (617) 535-6644;  FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125