[comp.graphics] DSP chips used for graphics

freed@trane.UUCP (10/31/87)

Does anybody have any exerience with the use of DSP chips such as the
TI TMS320C20 with graphics frame buffers? What are their advantages
and disadvantages?	Thanks in advance

spf@clyde.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <308@trane.UUCP> freed@trane.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
>Does anybody have any exerience with the use of DSP chips such as the
>TI TMS320C20 with graphics frame buffers? What are their advantages
>and disadvantages?	Thanks in advance

Check out the AT&T Pixel Machine, which uses many DSP32 chips.
Their marketing brochure from SIGGRAPH gives 800/949-1387 as the
number to call for more info.

Steve Frysinger
***
1. Yes, I work for AT&T Bell Laboratories
2. No, I don't/didn't work on the Pixel Machine

michael@orcisi.UUCP (11/03/87)

The TI TMS32010 Applications manual describes some graphics applications.

rsb@rayssde.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <308@trane.UUCP> freed@trane.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
>Does anybody have any exerience with the use of DSP chips such as the
>TI TMS320C20 with graphics frame buffers? What are their advantages
>and disadvantages?	Thanks in advance

Could not reach Erik Freed at the given address (freed@trane). Is the
correct address freed@aurora?

The TMS320 family provides a lot of power for graphics. To summarize 3-4 years
of experience in developing graphics packages for the family, here are my
main observations:

Advantages-

high-speed: both for numeric (multiplications) and standard operations.
available: you can buy 32020s readily. I haven't followed the 'c20s recently.
affordable: around $100 for the 32020's in singles, volume much better
supported: some would argue about how well, but support exists and does help.
reasonable architecture: very general purpose
programming ease: relatively good
interfacing ease: relatively good

Disadvantages-

limited address space: 64k words is not a lot for graphics applications
                       (we increase the address space through an external
                        segment address register. Clearly a kludge, but it
                        works)

Raymond S. Burns		galaxia!insight!ray@rayssd
InSight Graphics
Portsmouth,  RI; (401)-683-2189
UUCP:  {gatech|cbosgd|uiucdcs|ihnp4}!rayssd!galaxia!insight!ray