[comp.graphics] Flames to Number Nine

krogh@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/12/88)

This is a warning to anyone who was thinking about buying Number Nine's
new Pepper SGT graphics card.  It seems that they were doing a little
false advertising.  The glossies that they were passing out at
Siggraph say that the board can optionally support EGA graphics
capabilities along with CGA, MDA, and their new 640x480x8 mode.
I immediately called Number Nine to ask where I could order the
board, and they refered me to Tech Data Distributors.  After calling
Tech Data, they told me that EGA emulation was now a standard feature.

After receiving the board, I find out that it does not support any
EGA capabilities.  This was quickly confirmed by a call to Number
Nine's people.  They also added that they don't intend to support
EGA in future versions.

For those of you that might be interested in a board with such
capabilities (EGA, 640x480x8, TI graphics chip, etc.), look into
the board made by Tektronics.  It's called the PC4100.  This
board we have used, it does what they advertise it to do.

Michael Krogh
Internet:  13009@ncsaa.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Bitnet:    13009@ncsavmsa

Note:  These comments are my own, and not necessarily those of the
company that I work for.

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (01/16/88)

In article <46900008@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> krogh@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>This is a warning to anyone who was thinking about buying Number Nine's
>new Pepper SGT graphics card.  It seems that they were doing a little
>false advertising. ....
>After receiving the board, I find out that it does not support any
>EGA capabilities.  ....
 If you want a display card that is truly EGA compatible, as well as
 providing high resolution imaging and graphics capabilities, look at
 the CLARITY1 from MASER Research. It comes with software to support
 image capture from several digitizers, as well as hard copy output
 to several laser and color printers. It is distributed by SEFCO, you
 can get more information by calling (818) 765-8882 .