[comp.graphics] What kind of gear are they using?

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (12/02/87)

We have all seen the kind of graphics the boys and girls at Disney can
produce. My question is as follows, "What kind of eq. are these people using?"
I must say that I am very impressed with the scale of their work in such
movies as "Tron"(I know it has been out for a long time). If anyone has any
info on these topics could you please respond.
later
Barry

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (12/03/87)

	I recently went to the latest animation tournee and there was
an entry from Disney.  It was a computer animated short on 2 dogs made
out of junk living in a junk yard.  The animation was pretty good, too.
I believe the credits said they loaned equipment from Pixar, although
I'm not positive, I am pretty sure.

	Which reminds me, where is MY poor man's Pixar?  Anyone heard
about the NEXT machine lately?

--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

	hating tomorrow's advertising, today.

efo@pixar.UUCP (efo) (12/03/87)

In article <609@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
> My question is as follows, "What kind of eq. are these people [Disney] using?"

"Oilspot and Lipstick," the recent production from Walt Disney, was animated
on a Wavefront system.  Additional assistance was provided by a Pixar image
computer.

mae%vygr@Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {Graphics Product Division}) (12/03/87)

Pencils, Pens, Inks, Watercolors?

Seriously, tho., I believe most of Tron was rotoscoped, that is live action
(human beings) were shot, then selected parts of the scenes were
colored by hand. The exceptions were the solar sailor and the grid bugs. But
if memory serves, those scenes were not generated at Disney.

Siggraph had a panel with a couple of Disney animators on it. One was
a bit antangonistic about computer graphics, as he likes to draw by
hand(Glen somebody) and they other was mildly for it(Frank(?) somebody, one
of the 9(?) Old Men).

I have a feeling some of the dogs-in-the-junk yard was computer generated,
but I don't know how.

Oh yeah, a couple of years ago, Disney did do an experiment with
Synthevision(MAGI) about a dog in a house. I got the feeling the
experiment was not considered successful enough to be used for the
bulk of the work.

Somebody at PIXAR probably knows the details.

mike (sun!mae), M/S 5-40
"Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

leech@unc.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <35470@sun.uucp> mae@sun.UUCP (Mike Ekberg, Sun {Graphics Product Division}) writes:
>colored by hand. The exceptions were the solar sailor and the grid bugs. But
>if memory serves, those scenes were not generated at Disney.

    At III, who sold their computer graphics division (mainly the
Foonly and their graphics software) to Omnibus in 1984. Omnibus of
course was flushed down the loo recently. I don't know what happened
to the Foonly.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``Thus Mathematics helps / our brains and hands and feet

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <609@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>We have all seen the kind of graphics the boys and girls at Disney can
>produce. My question is as follows, "What kind of eq. are these people using?"
I interviewed with their IMAGINEERING department early this year, and at
that time they had almost no in-house graphics capability. They are thinking
about developing it some day, but for now, they contract it all out to
Industrial Light and Magic.

ewhac@well.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <620@astroatc.UUCP> jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) writes:
>	Which reminds me, where is MY poor man's Pixar?  [ ... ]

	Check my .signature for your answer.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac
"Although there are technical differences between the quality of images
created on the Amiga and on our system, we feel that viewers could be misled
to believe otherwise, even with your disclaimers to the contrary."
		-- Ralph J. Guggenheim, Pixar

peterson@utah-cs.UUCP (John W Peterson) (01/21/88)

> We have all seen the kind of graphics the boys and girls at Disney can
> produce. My question is as follows, "What kind of eq. are these people using?"
> I must say that I am very impressed with the scale of their work in such
> movies as "Tron"(I know it has been out for a long time).

At the time it was produced (~1981-82) Tron consumed the movie-quality
animation resources of most of the country.  Production houses like
Robert Able, MAGI, Digital Effects, and Information International's film
division all contributed to the project using a variety of equipment;
mostly large mainframes and specialized film recorders.  (All of these
production houses are now defunct.)

It's worth noting that much of Tron's animation was done by hand.
Live-action footage was shot in black and white, the frames were blown
up onto large transparencies, and shipped to the far east (Taiwan?)
where a large crew painted them all by hand.  The painted transparencies
were then re-photographed on an animation stand ("colorization" before
Ted Turner...)

Cheers,
jp