[comp.graphics] fiber optics

jdc@naucse.UUCP (02/11/88)

Thanks to those who have taken the time to explain RGB video output
to me!  I still don't understand as much as I would like, but (excuse
the following...)

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to send an RGB (1K x 1K interlaced,
60Hz) signal to distances of up to 2 kilometers.  People have suggested
fiber optics--is this because none of us understand it or is there an
existing technology?  I've called Black Box and was told the only thing
they do with fiber optics is RS232.

Where to next?

Thanks.

--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

richh@pnet02.cts.com (Rich Herzog) (02/14/88)

Yes -- the technology exists to transmit RKB at your rates your
required distance.  There's a place in Massachusetts that specializes
in 3270 multiplexors and link extenders, and their video grew from
that.  I once evaluated this technique for a former customer, and
we transmitted 1280 x 1024 x 256 over about a mile in test.  No
problem.  I believe they also had enough bandwidth to piggyback
2 channels of 19,2 kbps serial digital, for mice & digitizers, etc.
The name escapes me -- something like Abel (?).  (My references
are at another site...)

But the upshot is yes, fiber is the hot setup for this application
and it has been shipping for at least 18 months.

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!richh
INET: richh@pnet02.cts.com

pjk@philabs.Philips.Com (Pieter Kerstens) (02/15/88)

In article <570@naucse.UUCP> jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:

>I'm trying to find out if it is possible to send an RGB (1K x 1K interlaced,
>60Hz) signal to distances of up to 2 kilometers.  People have suggested
>fiber optics--is this because none of us understand it or is there an
>existing technology?  I've called Black Box and was told the only thing
>they do with fiber optics is RS232.

Try:

Math Associates, Inc               or          Codenoll Technology Corp.
2200 Shames Dr.                                1086 N. Broadway
Westbury NY 11590                              Yonkers NY 10701
(516) 334-6800                                 (914) 965-6300

We have used Math Associates in the past for NTSC video transmissions.

Pieter J.M. Kerstens
Robotics and Flexible Automation Department
Philips Laboratories, Briarcliff Manor, NY
ARPAnet:	pjk@philabs.philips.com
Usenet:		uunet!philabs!pjk