[comp.graphics] Computer Animation films

merlyn@rose3.rosemount.com (Brian Westley) (02/27/88)

I think some of you are being overly-critical of the computer animation
from SIGGRAPH et al.  Many of these are really the equivalent of industrial
or demo films; they are made to show technique, not artistic ability.

Since they are (somewhat) interesting in and of themselves, the general
public will pay to see them.  I've seen John Cleese in an industrial film
about how to organize meetings - it was funny, but not the Holy Grail.

Merlyn LeRoy

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (02/28/88)

In article <330@rose3.rosemount.com> merlyn@rose3.rosemount.com (Brian Westley) writes:
>I think some of you are being overly-critical of the computer animation
>from SIGGRAPH et al.  Many of these are really the equivalent of industrial
>or demo films; they are made to show technique, not artistic ability.
>Merlyn LeRoy

Hardly.
A decision was made some years ago to stop accepting hardcopy line
printer output.  Hopefully, we will see a similar band on flying logos.
There's more content in some conventional commercials and animated
shorts.  Just wait until we start giving awards solely on the basis of
computer graphics (Academy members voting only, please, otherwise
"People's Choice" [what will we call it? Oscar? Clio? Jim? ;-)]).  True,
the media is quite young, but we are maturing quickly.

The problem is we need to develop more discriminating audiences.
Computer graphics, I believe, is about photography was in 1870 (the
first image of a human was about 1840 and took five minutes exposure
time [in Paris]) or motion pictures were around 1910: a novelity,
still looking for its place.  We still have to develop an aesthetic
(No jaggies?) take a look at those few remaining silent shorts: like
train crashes, 5 minute Westerns, etc.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene