[comp.graphics] Evans and Sutherland Picture System I

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (02/25/88)

About 15 years ago, UCSD's Department of Chemistry took delivery
of an Evans and Sutherland Picture System I - it was serial number 1.

It's still here at the University, all 500 pounds of it, complete
with full manuals, stereo lorgnettes, display, and even some PDP-11
RT-11 software for it.

I think it's still in working condition, although we haven't fired
it up in a very long time.

We're trying to get rid of it.

I asked E&S if they wanted it for their museum, and a Mr. Don
Gardner called and said they were interested, but he never
returned my phone calls - he must be too important or something.

Any suggestions on how to give this a nice home?  I can always scrap it
for parts or give it to the surplus sales people to auction off for
cheap, but I'd rather think that someone is getting some use out of it.
In some way, it is a piece of computer graphics history.

Fatuous suggestions along the lines of yacht anchors are not welcome.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

   "There is more harmony in films than in life."
	- Francois Truffaut

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (02/27/88)

Re: what to do with our E & S PS-I:

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  They're running 90% for The
Computer Museum, with a sprinkling of other ideas.

We're still thinking it over - and your suggestions have been helpful.

	Brian Kantor	UCSD Computer Graphics Lab
			c/o B-028, La Jolla, CA 92093
			brian@ucsd.edu

timd@cognos.uucp (Tim Dudley) (03/04/88)

In article <39@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
>About 15 years ago, UCSD's Department of Chemistry took delivery
>of an Evans and Sutherland Picture System I - it was serial number 1.
>Any suggestions on how to give this a nice home?

DON'T SCRAP IT yet...

This sounds like a good contribution for the Computer Museum in Boston.
If anybody on the net can let the Museum know about this machine, please
do it.  It would be a real shame to lose this one...

--
Tim Dudley         Cognos Incorporated
(613) 738-1440     3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3