[comp.graphics] question on adding audio to an animation

gillam@aero.ARPA (April Gillam) (03/03/88)

When making an animation, say on an amiga or a SUN workstation, how do
you synchronize audio which is taped separately? Assuming I know what
music belongs with each animation segment, how do you coordinate them.

Thanks for any pointers.
		April Gillam
		gillam@aerospace.aero.org

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/06/88)

In article <26291@aero.ARPA> gillam@aero.UUCP (April Gillam) writes:
>When making an animation, say on an amiga or a SUN workstation, how do
>you synchronize audio which is taped separately? Assuming I know what
>music belongs with each animation segment, how do you coordinate them.
>
>Thanks for any pointers.
>		April Gillam
>		gillam@aerospace.aero.org

Since I don't have the program, I can't say for sure... but I think
the Amiga program "The Director" handles this.  I know it can handle
sequencing of animations, pictures, text, color cycling, and page
flipping using a Basic-Like language.  It also has a digitized
soundtrack module (whatever that is!).  For info, contact:

			The Right Answers Group
			Department D
			Box 3699
			Torrance, CA 90510
			(213) 325-1311

Hope this helps!

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

cochran@dworkin.usc.edu (Steve Cochran) (03/06/88)

In article <26291@aero.ARPA> gillam@aero.UUCP (April Gillam) writes:
>When making an animation, say on an amiga or a SUN workstation, how do
>you synchronize audio which is taped separately? Assuming I know what
>music belongs with each animation segment, how do you coordinate them.

Generally in animation, you work from a storyboard and get your timing
*FROM* the audio.  I assume (and I may be partly wrong, in that there
is probably some system that doesn't work this way) that if you have
your audio 'ticked' off (this is often added under/along-side the
storyboard for ease in keeping track of what is hapening) so that you
know at least the important points at which you need your sync.  Then
you fill between the these points with as many frames as needed to meet
your selected frames/sec.

For instance:

(1) Rough out what actions and words/music you want.  Use rough draft
    art (by hand) and generate a script with cues for where words/music
    start and stop and what is being seen (and how transitions are to
    be made (eg. sudden cut, slow fading).
(2) Produce more detailed versions of (1) until you are ready to
    generate your audio.  Generate your tape, when you are satisfied
    that your tape is ok, then
(3) Generate a timeline from the tape (for best results you want this
    to the frame -- which may not be easy without some expensive
    equipment :-(
(4) Now you can start your animation!  You may already have several
    key frames generated during step (2), and you place them on the
    timeline and begin generating the in-between frames.

Good Luck!
	Steve
Steven Cochran                                          xx   X       xx
Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems            xx X      xx
University of Southern California                  XXXXXXxXx X    xx
Los Angeles, California  90089-0273                   xxX   XX  xx
                                                     xxx     xxx
                                                   xx  XX   Xxx    IRIS
ARPA/CSNET:  cochran%dworkin.usc.edu                   XxxXxXXXXXXXXXXX
UUCP:        ...uscvax!oberon!dworkin!cochran          Xxx
                                                       X  xx
Home Phone:   (818) 767-3812                           X    xx
Office Phone: (213) 743-3309                           X      xx