[comp.graphics] more stupid flaming

shirley@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (03/17/88)

Normally I'm reluctant to contribute noise to the network, but some
turkeys in this group have got me hog-biting over the point-inside-
polygon discussion.  Somebody asks an innocent question that is
important to many applications, and gets flamed because he should do
his own homework.  Well turkeys, this question is NOT answered in N&S,
F&VD, Rogers, or H&B!  In fact, the only GOOD solution I've seen
(from a computation point of view) is in the latest SIGGRAPH ray
tracing tutorial (NOT published!).  The author of this (Eric Haines,
I believe) was nice enough to summarize his method for the net.
I don't think his solution surfaced in previous discussions, so the
long note-string was not a waste of time at all!

The reason I'm posting this is that I'm afraid people are going to
stop asking basic questions because of the loud-mouth-turkeys being
offended.  I hope the beginners out there will not hesitate to ask
basic questions in the future!

Peter Shirley
U of Illinois at UC

cmr@cvedc.UUCP (Chesley Reyburn) (03/23/88)

In article <4400017@uiucdcsm> shirley@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>...  I hope the beginners out there will not hesitate to ask
>basic questions in the future!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!