[comp.graphics] Naive Question About Primary Colors

drapeau@alheka.usc.edu (George Drapeau) (03/25/88)

I apologize in advance for being obtuse about this, but if you would please
indulge me...

Why is it that for video, the three primary colors are (usually) red, green,
and blue, whereas for painting, the primaries are red, *yellow*, and blue?
If you look at a color wheel, red and green are at opposite ends, as opposed
to forming two parts of the primary triangle.

Thanks in advance,

	George

George D. Drapeau                       Internet:drapeau@zaurak.usc.edu
University Computing Services,          UUCP:...!oberon!zaurak!drapeau
University of Southern California

grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) (03/26/88)

  The question is not so naive.  While frequency of light is a continuum, the
eye believe there are primary colors because of its own physiology, not because
colors exist external to it.  Any set of three colors can be "primary" for non-
color blind humans, beacuse, like a TV set, we have three sensing rod varieties.

The colors red, blue, green are only one example of primaries (ones which
require the least addition of white to make all the rest of the colors).  Paint pigments combine in a subtractive way, though, and red blue yellow are usually
chosen by people using pigments (paints) rather than light becasue they, too,
require the least addition of white to make all the rest of the non-primary
colors.

A succinct primer on color physiology is to be found in Feynmann's work in beginning physics (1962).
Grady Ward

turk@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Matthew Turk) (03/26/88)

In article <7779@apple.Apple.Com>, grady@Apple.COM (Grady Ward) writes:

> ...  Any set of three colors can be "primary" for non-
> color blind humans, because, like a TV set, we have three sensing
> rod varieties.

Well, almost.  The three colors must be "perceptually independent",
i.e. no mixture of two of them can make the third.  Also, in additive
color the choice of the three primaries limits the gamut of colors
that can be represented (to the inclusive triangle in the CIE
chromaticity diagram).

	Matthew

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP (Christopher Chiesa) (03/27/88)

I read with interest the original not-so-naive question on choice of primary
colors; wasn't going to post a response but after reading the preceding respon-
ses reaching this node so far, I thought I'd add two cents' worth of hopefully
helpful "layman's terms" information...

RED, GREEN, BLUE are "ADDITIVE" primaries: they are used in situations where
light is being emitted; i.e. where "if you were to do NOTHING, you'd have
BLACK."  Examples: three separate beams of light (one each R,G,B) superimposed
on a white screen; color television.

Conversely, MAGENTA, YELLOW, CYAN are "SUBTRACTIVE" primaries: they are used
in situations where one light is being filtered to obtain a desired resultant
color, or where a NEGATIVE color image will be produced.  Examples: color film
(transparencies; negative-image printing); color filters; four-color halftone
printing process.

I realize that this still doesn't explain the use of RED, YELLOW, BLUE as
primaries, although I seem to recall from childhood (when I asked Dad, a
professional-level photographer and Kodak researcher) that these are SUBTRAC-
TIVE primaries...  I usually see MAGENTA, YELLOW, and CYAN in commercial
color PRINTED materials, but usually RED, YELLOW, and BLUE when dealing with
PAINTING and other non-photographic art.  Do any of you "I work with this
every day" types have any clarification?  I'd be interested in hearing about
it.

UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP
--

jcl@bdrc.COM (John C. Lusth) (03/28/88)

In article <7779@apple.Apple.Com> grady@apple.UUCP (Grady Ward) writes:

>  The colors red, blue, green are only one example of primaries (ones which
>  require the least addition of white to make all the rest of the colors).

A small point.  Given primary colors A, B, and C, and target color X,
it is not necessarily true that some combination of the primaries will
match color X.

       A + B + C matches X                  *** not necessarily true ***

However, it is true that for any X that some combination of X and one
of the primaries can be matched be some combination of the other
two primaries.

       A + B matches X + C                   *** always true ***

John C. Lusth
Becton Dickinson Research Center
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

...!decvax!mcnc!bdrc!jcl

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/28/88)

>I apologize in advance for being obtuse about this, but if you would please
>indulge me...

>Why is it that for video, the three primary colors are (usually) red, green,
>and blue, whereas for painting, the primaries are red, *yellow*, and blue?
>If you look at a color wheel, red and green are at opposite ends, as opposed
>to forming two parts of the primary triangle.

Pardon me if there is a real answer already posted, but the two to reach me
don't answer the question.

The (non-color-blind) human eye has three forms of light sensors used in
reasonably bright light. One detects blue. The other two are rather broad
in response, put are peaked in the red and green. (Please note that
pure colors, as in white light split by a prism or grating, range in color
like this (roughly to scale on a linear energy plot):

violet        blue             green yellow orange      red
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb  b  b
                     g g g ggggggggggggggggggggggg g  g
r   r                             r   r  r  rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The b g and r show where the different sensors respond. The eye can be
tricked into seeing any of the spectral colors, plus purple, by adding
together spectrally pure beams of red, green and blue lights. Thus
the real (additive) primary colors are red, green and blue.

The subtractive primary colors commonly referred to as yellow, red, and
blue, actually refer to a system where the yellow primary absorbs
the blue light, and hence determines how much blue you see. The "red"
one, actually, is more "magenta", and controls how much green you see
by subtracting the green part of the spectrum. The "blue", actually
blue-green, one controls red by subtracting the red part of white
light.

If you take a filter transmitting ONLY red and one transmitting cyan
(blue-green) and look through them held together, all light is stopped
(together they appear black). Likewise for magenta and green and for
blue and yellow.

Doug McDonald

turk@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Matthew Turk) (03/29/88)

In article <310@bdrc.UUCP>, jcl@bdrc.COM (John C. Lusth) writes:

> A small point.  Given primary colors A, B, and C, and target color X,
> it is not necessarily true that some combination of the primaries will
> match color X.
>
>        A + B + C matches X                  *** not necessarily true ***
>
> However, it is true that for any X that some combination of X and one
> of the primaries can be matched be some combination of the other
> two primaries.
>
>        A + B matches X + C                   *** always true ***

Actually, neither are *always* true, but it is usually true that
one of them will be true!  Think of the primaries A, B, and C
as corners of a triangle.  Some perceivable colors are inside
the triangle and some are outside.  Any mixture of A, B, and C
will fall somewhere inside the triangle.  A mixture of any two
will fall on the line between the two (one of the triangle sides).

So if X is inside the color triangle, then the first statement
is true.  If X is outside the triangle the second statement is
sometimes true, and the rest of the time yet a third statement
will be true:  A matches X + B + C (when that is necessary is
left as a proof to the reader!).  Remember that adding A to
one side is conceptually the same as subtracting (B + C) from
the other.

Of course all this discussion is ignoring the fine print in
the "optional" section of the text book -- the part that says
it's not really true for all colors....

	Matthew

james@sunne.Sun.COM (04/05/88)

On the one hand, having simple questions get asked is undoubtedly
boring and offensive to the geniuses out there.

On the other hand, these questions (as the one about RGB color)
usually get lots of responses, and often (as in the example) bring
out some useful information that even those of us that thought
they knew the answer can learn from.

So, great, you start a new group for the new users.  That way
us geniuses don't have to be bothered.  And this group
can fill up with flames of the form:
"that was a naive question, you fool. You should have known to
post it in *.newuser.* "

I'd rather see the questions, than the flames.....

James Triplett       Sun Microsystems, Lexington, Mass
		jtriplett@sun.com   ...sun!sunne!james