[comp.graphics] Who are the new-users?

jv0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Justin Chris Vallon) (04/12/88)

Now, hold on...

If we make a 'newuser' sub-group, then from the quality of answers which have
appeared here, I do not think that anybody subscribing to this group (at least
anybody reading it) should have the arrogance of subscribing to this group as
well.  Just take a look at the recent fiascos, the most recent and humorous
being the smallest circle enclosing a set of given points.  It took 3 weeks
(conservative estimate here) before we got 1 (read: ONE) answer which did not
have OBVIOUS, BLATANT problems.

Is this the state of affairs of the entire newsgroup?  I would think that the
circle-enclosing-the-points question is quite simple, yet all of these
'wizards' couldn't conjure up the answer?  Who is the naive user, here?

What I'm trying to say is that I really haven't seen too many questions that
are asked over and over again, and answered correctly by 20 people the next
day.  Until you can answer these 'simple' questions, why would somebody as a
'newuser' feel compelled to switch to another group?

Let's make some definitions:
  wizard:     Knows the answers and posts answers occassionally
  average:    Knows some answers, and posts on those subjects
  apprentice: Thinks he knows the answers, always posts answers on any subject,
              and is quick to flame
  newuser:    Knows he doesn't know the answer and never posts answers

I think we have too many apprentices to make a new-user group...

-Justin

dT/dt >> 0!

news@megatek.UUCP (Net.News) (04/13/88)

amen

	Lou Newell	             (619) 455-5590 x2653
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			    ames!scubed!
		{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!newell
			 sdcsvax!esosun!

aacscjej@csuna.UUCP (j jackson) (04/14/88)

In article <cWMPmhy00UhtyGQ0-4@andrew.cmu.edu> jv0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Justin Chris Vallon) writes:
>Now, hold on...
>
>  [Stuff deleted]
>
>Let's make some definitions:
>  wizard:     Knows the answers and posts answers occassionally
>  average:    Knows some answers, and posts on those subjects
>  apprentice: Thinks he knows the answers, always posts answers on any subject,
>              and is quick to flame
>  newuser:    Knows he doesn't know the answer and never posts answers
>
>I think we have too many apprentices to make a new-user group...
>
>-Justin

                     /\
What he just said   '||`

Miq (that's with a Q) Millman

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
Q   "Yes, I LIKE it!"           Q                                             Q
Q          -Emil, "Robocop"     Q    UUCP: ....ucbvax!litvax!csun!aacscjej    Q
Q                               Q    Else:  gee do cars have zip codes?       Q
QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
{fodder}
{fodder}
{mudder}
{cow udder}