[comp.graphics] geometry book?

samadani@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Ramin Samadani) (04/15/88)

Every now and then, I come across a problem which involves some geometry.
For example, I am interested in finding the best ellipse that fits a
bunch of points on the plane. For this, I think I need to find the distance
from a point to an ellipse, for each point. There are other examples of
times that I need to solve some intersection problem, or to find out
if a point is outside some polygon, or to find the perimeter of some closed
curve (digitized, on the computer), etc.

Does anyone know of some good references on geometry that would cover these
things? I am also interested in books which show how to actually do these
things on the computer.

Thanks,
			Ramin Samadani
			samadani@shasta.stanford.edu
			202 Durand Bldg.
			Stanford, CA 94305

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/16/88)

In article <2679@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> samadani@Shasta.UUCP (Ramin Samadani) writes:
>Every now and then, I come across a problem which involves some geometry.
>For example, I am interested in finding the best ellipse that fits a [...]

Try "A Programmer's Geometry" by Adrian Bowyer and John Woodwark,
pub. Butterworths, copyright 1983.

>things? I am also interested in books which show how to actually do these
>things on the computer.

It does...in (formatted/indented) Fortran 77.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug