[comp.graphics] smallest contining circle

posdamer@wucs2.UUCP (Jeff Posdamer) (04/06/88)

Here we go again. PLEASE DON'T GUESS IF YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!

The solution has the following steps:

	A. Compute the convex hull of the point set
	B. Compute maximum distance between points on convex hull polygon
	using   a hodograph algorithm
	C. Use maximum distance line segment as diameter of circle.

Each of these steps is described in Edelsbrunner or
Preparata and Shamos and the published literature. There are many algorithms for
each step, some of which are not obvious.

		Jeff Posdamer

--
Jeff Posdamer, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, (314) 889-6147
posdamer@syr.wustl.edu

jtfox@lion.waterloo.edu (Todd Fox) (04/17/88)

In article <825@wucs2.UUCP> posdamer@wucs2.UUCP (Jeff Posdamer) writes:
>Here we go again. PLEASE DON'T GUESS IF YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!
>
>The solution has the following steps:
>	A. Compute the convex hull of the point set
>	B. Compute maximum distance between points on convex hull polygon
>	using   a hodograph algorithm
>	C. Use maximum distance line segment as diameter of circle.

My roomie says this ain't so. What if you have three points as the
vertices of an equilateral triangle. The convex hull IS the triangle.
If the sides of the triangle are  of length 1, the circle must
have diameter 2/sqrt(3) > 1 (and MAX DIST. = 1).

Si je t'aime? Bien sur que je t'aime! Ne suis-je pas en train de
te le prouver encore une fois, dans ce lit?
Alan Myrvold     ajmyrvold@violet.waterloo.edu
Todd Fox  JTFOX@LION.WATERLOO.EDU
Ob ich dich liebe? Naturlich liebe ich dich! Wir sind doch schon
wieder im Bett, nicht wahr?