[comp.graphics] Particle systems and simulation

kyriazis@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) (04/04/88)

	Hello world.  I am about to start a project about simulating rigid
bodies or fluids made out of particles, and I want to ask some questions
before beginning.
	I think these are the right newsgroups, so that's why I started from
here.  What I like to know is references on where I can find more info about
that subject.  The problem is not simply simulating the movements of these
particles.  What is the problem is that the naive method is of O(n*n)
(calculating n-1 forces exerted to every particle).  Since I am not into
physics very much, what I'd like to find is any simplifications on that.
I heard something about calculating the forces from the nearest neighbors
only.  Are there any more opinions on that?  Also calculating closest
neighborhood in 2-d or even 3-d for the next time step from the previous
neighborhood is difficult.  Are there any data structures or algorithms
that can (easily) handle this kind of thing?
Lastly, what kind of forces (other than the attractive and repulsive forces
between atoms) do I have to take into account?  Maybe there are any moments
also?
	Thanks in advance for the help..

*George C. Kyriazis                                   *    Gravity is a myth
*kyriazis@mts.rpi.edu or kyriazis@rpitsmts.bitnet     *        \    /
*kyriazis@life.pawl.rpi.edu  kyriazis@docsun.rpi.edu  *         \  /
*Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering Dept.    *          ||
*Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180     *      Earth sucks

blob@calgary.UUCP (Brian Wyvill) (04/06/88)

In article <609@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, kyriazis@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) writes:

> 	Hello world.  I am about to start a project about simulating rigid
> bodies or fluids made out of particles, ........
> What is the problem is that the naive method is of O(n*n)
> (calculating n-1 forces exerted to every particle).  Since I am not into
> physics very much, what I'd like to find is any simplifications on that.

If you are worried about calculating the force exterted by every particle on
every other particle, try dividing the world uniformly into a 3D grid of
voxels.  (You may find octree subdivison useful too.)   Into each voxel
place a reference to all the particles that can affect that volume.   Now
you only have to consider how particles affect each other within a voxel.
Of course you may find that all the particles are placed in every voxel in
which case you are back where you started!

--
        Brian Wyvill
	..!{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!blob

kyriazis@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) (04/17/88)

	Thanks everybody that sent me information about the particle systems
query I posted a few days ago.  I am really sorry I didn't reply to someone
from SUN that sent me a whole program, but somehow mail couldn't get through
to him. I will keep everyone informed with whatever I do on that subject
(as many people asked for that).