[comp.graphics] Color table database

thrapp@cod.NOSC.MIL (Gary R. Thrapp) (04/14/88)

I am very interested in obtaining a set of RGB (or convertible to RGB)
values to construct a 64, 128, or 256 element color table with a wide
variety of colors including things like shades of brown?

If someone could supply such a database it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Gary R. Thrapp
Code 443
Naval Ocean Systems Center
San Diego, CA  92152-5000
(619) 553-4131

DDN: thrapp@nosc.mil
UUCP: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!thrapp

oltz@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Michael Oltz) (04/14/88)

In article <1059@cod.NOSC.MIL> thrapp@cod.NOSC.MIL (Gary R. Thrapp) writes:
>I am very interested in obtaining a set of RGB (or convertible to RGB)
>values to construct a 64, 128, or 256 element color table with a wide
>variety of colors including things like shades of brown?

I have a similar situation.  I will need to grab many video images of
color distributions which I cannot predict, and quantize them down to
256 colors.  All of them must use exactly the same color table.  The
question is, does anyone out there have experience with what is a good
table for doing this?  All I know about the images is that in some cases
there will be people in them and we don't want them to come out orange,
but it is all right if they look a little 'Sunday funnies'.  P.S.  I
cannot take samples and calculate a table from that.  This procedure
would be used in many different situations, so I don't know what I'm
getting.

--
Mike Oltz   oltz@tcgould.tn.cornell.UUCP  (607)255-8312
Cornell Computer Services

oj@apollo.uucp (Ellis Oliver Jones) (04/18/88)

In article <1059@cod.NOSC.MIL> thrapp@cod.NOSC.MIL (Gary R. Thrapp) writes:
>I am very interested in obtaining a set of RGB (or convertible to RGB)
>values to construct a 64, 128, or 256 element color table with a wide
>variety of colors including things like shades of brown?

I've had pretty good success reducing 24-plane TrueColor images for display
on 8 planes by constructing a color map with coarse, but uniform, ramps for
each of the primary colors.

One such color map (originally dreamed up by Allen Akin at DEC, and
suggested as a standard shared color map for X11) provides six levels each
of red, green, and blue, using a total of 216 (6x6x6) color cells.  This is
handy in an 8-plane workstation context because it leaves forty cells free).

Another scheme I've used has seven levels of red and green, and five of blue
(245 cells).  This gives slightly better image quality for some color images, but
is bad for gray ramps -- they change color slightly.

Of course, there's always 8 shades of red, 8 of green, and 4 of blue (in other
words 3 bits each of red and green, and 2 bits of blue).

To fit your color map to your image adaptively (rather than just coarsening
the colors of your image) see Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display
by Paul Heckbert on p 297ff of the 1982 SIGgraph proceedings (from Heckbert's
Pre-Jello Period  :-)

If you are going to use as simple a color-space reduction as this, you probably
should consider dithering your image into the coarser color space.
If you have less than eight planes (256 color
cells) to work with, you definitely should dither.
(see Rogers, Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics, p107).

/Ollie Jones (speaking for myself, not necessarily for Apollo Computer, Inc.)