[comp.graphics] MCGA/VGA 320X200 256 Color mode

RWMIRA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) (04/19/88)

I have a question.  The PS/2's have been out for over a year now and considering
the fact that no other IBM's have been available, why is there so little soft-
ware for MODE 19 (13h).  I have seen very little public domain software and
just about the same amount of commerical software.  Borland and Lotus only
support the 640X480 1 color mode.  I have seen one game out that supports it
and CompuServe has a GIF decoder for 256 color mode.  But that is about it.

It is easy to write software for.  The video ram is at segment A000h and each
pixel is mapped to one byte where its value is the color of the pixel.  I am
working on a library of routines but I don't have a lot of free time to get
any thing nice written.  Has anyone heard why there is nomore software out for
the 256 color mode or am I just clueless?

sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) (04/21/88)

In article <8804182007.AA17023@jade.berkeley.edu> RWMIRA01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Rob Miracle) writes:
>I have a question.  The PS/2's have been out for over a year now and considering
>the fact that no other IBM's have been available, why is there so little soft-
>ware for MODE 19 (13h). ... very little public domain software and ...
> commerical software.

I don't know about the U.S., but here in Canada, PS/2's are over-priced.
Until inflation comes down (plausible), the Canadian $ increases in value
(also plausible), IBM drops prices (implausible), or there are cheaper VGA
boards available for the PC/XT/AT market (very likely), there isn't much
incentive for software firms to develop VGA software very quickly -- VGA
supports EGA modes, and there remains a HUGE EGA market.

Naturally, above opinions are my own.

- Raj Sarathy, University of Toronto
(Disclaimer: I'm an undergrad)