[comp.graphics] NCAR Graphics Package

ram@lscvax.UUCP (Ric Messier) (04/26/88)

Out of curiosity, we here are interested in knowing if anyone out there
has implemented the NCAR graphics software and if so, on what kind of
machine. We are currently attempting to get it up and running and would
be interested in hearing from others, particularly to hear of problems
they might have had. Thanks a lot!

--
- Kilroy                ram@lscvax.UUCP                 *** Can't deal, &CRASH
'Just what cowpatch is Lyndonville, Vermont in anyway?'

jim@pemrac.swri.edu (James Biard) (04/28/88)

In article <405@lscvax.UUCP> ram@lscvax.UUCP (Ric Messier) writes:
>Out of curiosity, ... anyone out there has implemented the NCAR graphics ...

Here at SwRI I have implemented the GKS version of the NCAR
package on an HP9000 model 520 and on a Convex C1.  This was
using an early, crippled release of the package with the
gut level GKS that NCAR provided.  The NCAR people unreleased
the version I had right after I got it, about 2 years ago (can
it really have been that long?).  Anyway, we are about to get
the present release with a commercial GKS, and I will get to
repeat the process.  I can't wait to see what kinds of bugs
are in the new release.  (Not to flame NCAR really, they do
good work there.)

Soooo... here is one person that has installed the package.

Jim Biard  -----------------------------  jim@pemrac.UUCP
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be research!"

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (04/29/88)

>Out of curiosity, we here are interested in knowing if anyone out there
>has implemented the NCAR graphics software and if so, on what kind of
>machine. We are currently attempting to get it up and running and would
>be interested in hearing from others, particularly to hear of problems
>they might have had. Thanks a lot!

We have had NCAR on our VAX780 (VMS) for years. I didn't do the work
of putting it on, so I don't know how much trouble it was. It works
OK and is our normal graphics package. I have put various pieces of
it on my IBM PC, including the 3d surface drawer and the countour plotter.
I have not, however, tried to copy their device-independent run-time system.
I'll give my impressions of the whole thing, though. First, most people
around here actually like the thing. I don't myself, though. In the first
place, the version we have contains some of the worst-written code I have
ever seen. I have spent a lot of time and fuel feeding the flame wars
in comp.lang.c defending goto's, but the stupid NCAR code is a perfect example
of their abuse. It is truly awful. It would cause apoplexy in the goto-
haters. But that's not all. The worst is yet to come. They allow one
to call the same subroutine like line(x,y) with x and y being EITHER
integer*4 or real *4, and DEPEND ON BEING ABLE TO TELL WHICH IT IS BY
LOOKING AT THE BIT ENCODING PATTERN!!!!! Gasp! Choke Aargh!
The run time system is a really clunky mess. It depends on lots of
clunky intermediate output and a sluggish interpreter. The output
to pen plotters is, usually, abysmally bad in terms of speed, because
it picks up the pen at the beginning of every line segment, whether it
needs to or not. The VAX version takes about 30 minutes to produce a
typical 50x50 grid contour plot on our HP plotter, while my optimized
(direct output to plotter, no intermediate file, and not picking up the
pen unless needed) version takes 1 minute. On the other hand the
high level plotting algorithms seem to be (relatively) OK.
I'd like to know what machine you are trying to use it on.

It is worth the price, though.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu)