[comp.graphics] Questions, questions, questions.

pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) (04/26/88)

O.K. Since the 4014 is most likely a flop, I have one more question.
Does anyone know if they make graphic cards for vt100 terminals.
If so, how much do they go for, and where could I find one.
Vt100's are in vast supply around here, and although it is no VT240,
it will have to do.
Thanks.
-Gladiator

jackm@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Jack Morrison) (04/28/88)

In article <173@anselm.UUCP> pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) writes:
>O.K. Since the 4014 is most likely a flop, I have one more question.
>Does anyone know if they make graphic cards for vt100 terminals.
>If so, how much do they go for, and where could I find one.
>Vt100's are in vast supply around here, and although it is no VT240,
>it will have to do.

At a previous employer we used boards from a company called Selenar that did
mono graphics on a vt100, about 1200x300 (theoretical) resolution, I think. They
were pretty slow to work with (sending commands at 9600 baud), and no
doubt overpriced.

Why not get a PC clone for $500?

BTW, how about a usable email address so I don't have to bother anyone else
with this?

Anyway . . . what was the question? :-)
--
Jack C. Morrison	Jet Propulsion Laboratory
(818)354-1431		jackm@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (05/07/88)

In article <173@anselm.UUCP>, pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) writes:
> Does anyone know if they make graphic cards for vt100 terminals.

The 'retrographics' card (VT640) is scaled to tek... 640x400, so things like
'hidden-line-removal' using selective erase won't work unless you un-scale
your image, and lose virtual resoloution.

> If so, how much do they go for, and where could I find one.

Digital, and I don't know if they sell them anymore.  This is the 'GPO' you
can turn on and off.

> Vt100's are in vast supply around here, and although it is no VT240,
> it will have to do.

Unfortunately, it won't save you a heck of a lot of money over a 240, as you
will have to replace the tubes with higher-persistence/resolution CRT's
(just the tubes) in orser to see the pictures you display very well.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Admit it!  You're just harrasing me because of the quote in my signature!' |