[comp.graphics] IBM Mandelbrot commercial

ruffwork@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Ritchey Ruff) (05/09/88)

Has anybody else seen the new IBM commercial with B. Mandelbrot
at a screen.  The camera zooms "into" the screen, pans around
a fractal landscape for awhile, then zooms out through a cloud
cover into space, finally coming back out of the monitor
and stoping while overlooking Mandelbrot working again.
Pretty neat little commercial...

--ritchey ruff	ruffwork@cs.orst.edu -or- ...!hp-pcd!orstcs!ruffwork

chernoff@dirac.berkeley.edu (05/11/88)

Yes, it's a wonderful promo for Mandelbrot.
Too bad it doesn't mention that all those
beautiful landscapes (and the programming
ideas behind them) are due to Voss.

Well, that's show biz.

* Paul R. Chernoff                       chernoff@cartan.berkeley.edu   *
* Department of Mathematics              ucbvax!cartan!chernoff         *
* University of California                                              *
* Berkeley, CA  94720                                                   *

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (05/12/88)

In article <4513@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ruffwork@CS.ORST.EDU (Ritchey Ruff) writes:
>Has anybody else seen the new IBM commercial with B. Mandelbrot
>at a screen.

IBM says that by using fractals, they can create images AS real as Nature.
Well, almost :-).  Actually, IBM invented nature, yeah, that's the ticket!
I found the tone of this ad really amusing.  I was just waiting for them
to say, "Remember the triangle?  That was our's too!"

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (05/14/88)

In article <1245@percival.UUCP> baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) writes:
>In article <4513@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ruffwork@CS.ORST.EDU (Ritchey Ruff) writes:
>>Has anybody else seen the new IBM commercial with B. Mandelbrot at a screen.
>
>IBM says that by using fractals, they can create images AS real as Nature.
>Well, almost :-).  Actually, IBM invented nature, yeah, that's the ticket!
>I found the tone of this ad really amusing.  I was just waiting for them
>to say, "Remember the triangle?  That was our's too!"

Richard Voss showed these images at ACM'84 and he made a very sigificant
aesthetic point about non-naive audiences: real geologists looking at those
images don't recognize any familiar rock structures in those mountains.
Voss's mountains don't look really natural to professionals.  Loren
Carpenter may have some similar experiences.  In time
these people have impressed patterns for the three different rock groups
[you know: ingenious, sedentary, and metaphoric] and the types of peaks
they form, nor can they be simple alien worlds, take some classes in
planetary science or geology.  Have fun.

Just say no to fractals :: J. Bloomenthal ;-)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."