[comp.graphics] Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH Lecture on "Unsolved Problems in Graphics"

siggraph@pioneer.arpa (Siggraph) (05/12/88)

On Tuesday June 14th,  The Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH is starting a once yearly
series of distinguished speakers.  These meetings will ponder the future of
computer graphics in a slightly less formal setting than our normal monthly
technical meetings.  We feel it is important to do this in the Valley.

"Are There Still 'Ten Unsolved Problems' in Computer Graphics"

Dr. Frank Crow
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

We will have a light dinner with the speaker outside Xerox PARC's
Auditorium beginning at 6 PM.  This will present a chance to mingle
with our members, the speaker, the staff of the local group, and
other people in the graphics community.  This is something we are
otherwise unable to do with our monthly meetings.

Costs are:
	$10 for Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH members (in Advance)
	$12 for Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH members (at the door, space available)
	$15 for non Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH members (in advance)

The lower ceiling will be the first 100 people and an upper ceiling of
150 people.  Registration must be received by June 1 and we will try to
mail an acknowledgement.  Membership will be checked against our mailing
1988 list.  Advanced registration can be obtained mailing a check, and
the names of your party to Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH, P.O. Box 3553,
Santa Clara, CA 95055.

bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) (05/17/88)

In article <8628@ames.arc.nasa.gov> siggraph@pioneer.UUCP (Siggraph) writes:
>On Tuesday June 14th,  The Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH is starting a once yearly
>series of distinguished speakers.  These meetings will ponder the future of
>computer graphics in a slightly less formal setting than our normal monthly
>technical meetings.  We feel it is important to do this in the Valley.
>
>"Are There Still 'Ten Unsolved Problems' in Computer Graphics"
>
>Dr. Frank Crow
>Xerox Palo Alto Research Center

This sounds like an interesting talk, but I won't be able to attend.  (Too
bad it's not a week later during USENIX!)  I suspect I'm not alone in this.
Unless there are plans for the content to appear somewhere in the
literature, would someone who's going be interested in summarizing it for
this newsgroup?  Thanks profusely in advance.

	- Bob Lewis
	  bobl@tessi.uucp

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (05/17/88)

At first, I thought it was silly to post distant talks.  Then, I started
seeing talks I wish I could attend.  Then I started meeting people who flew
from San Diego or Los Angeles (as an example) just to hear one seminar.  So
goes the jet age, blew me away, so if your company has economic needs. . . ;-)

We have given thought to recording, either by audio or video tape, our
meetings.  The local ACM/SIGBIG chapter does audio recording.  Unfortunately,
our meetings are sometimes two orders of magnitude larger than our sister
SIG and we already have great A-V problems [Light-Valves(tm) are not easy to come
by (for free)].  Additionally, we face certain problems beyond copyright as well
(our Feb. meeting).  We have also had the offer to telecast by CSU Hayward
(60,000 homes, they have told us).  Our local CORE has voted against summarizing
and publishing meetings, God knows we have enough work, but I will raise the
issue again before the group.

--eugene miya
  Lame Duck President [Now, where did I put those Iran-Contra funds...???;-)]
  Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH

P.S. Added note, we have two tours (members only) coming up for summer
before we shut down monthly meeting operations (resume in Sept.):  the
first will be a repeat of our oversubscribed and controversial tour of the
Lawrence Livermore National Lab's Conflicit Simulation Center (Tactical
Nuclear Warfare) which will also include some other facilities such as the
Nova Laser (controlled fusion) and the National Magnetic Fusion Energy
Computer Center (also controlled) [US Citizenship required expect to get
checked out].  This trip isn't an endorsement pro or con, but we recognize
the place of the Lab in the history of computer graphics, and the tour was
offered to us (in fact, CPSR members go on the tour).  We will also have
a second tour of an undisclosed location.  Sort of like an English
Magical Mystery Tour [re: see Beatles' history at your local record store].

Do not send me membership requests.
Membership:
Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH		# with local members around the world!
P.O. Box 3553			# a totally volunteer organization
Santa Clara, CA 95055		# we can always use help