[comp.graphics] Wanted: Specs for GIF Format

jjr@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) (05/17/88)

Would somebody please send me the specifications for the GIF format?
(It seems like this is common knowledge, so e-mail might be best.)
Where did this format originate? By the way, I use an IBM RT (AIX)
with a "Revolution" card and an Electrohome display.

Also, has anybody done a study of the various image formats that people
use.  If so, I would appreciate very much a summary of the various formats.

			Jeff Rodriguez
			jjr@emx.utexas.edu

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (05/25/88)

In article <2469@ut-emx.UUCP> jjr@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) writes:
>Would somebody please send me the specifications for the GIF format?
>Also, has anybody done a study of the various image formats that people
>use.  If so, I would appreciate very much a summary of the various formats.
>
>			Jeff Rodriguez
>			jjr@emx.utexas.edu

When I posted a similar message to comp.sys.mac.programmer and comp.std.misc
concerning TIFF (Tag Image File Format), several people pointed out that
in the most recent (May 1988) issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal of Software Tools
is an article which deals mainly with TIFF but briefly compares it to:
EPS, PICT, PICT2, RIFF and MacPaint formats.  I realize that only the first
two are supported on non-Macintosh machines, but you might be interested
nonetheless.

If you get any information about the GIF format, I'd appreciate it if you
would mail me a copy or post a reference.

Thanks

John