[comp.graphics] OPTIK--HOW DO I GET IT???

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (05/29/88)

I've heard several people mention a ray tracing program called OPTIK lately.
The program comes from U. of Toronto I believe.

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this program?  I have a variety
of Unix and Xenix machines that I could run it on.  If you can't tell me
how to get a copy of the program, try to tell me a little about it.

Please reply via usenet mail as I don't get into NEWS often enough to
avoid missing things.

Thanks!!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/30/88)

In article <1147@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I've heard several people mention a ray tracing program called OPTIK lately.
>The program comes from U. of Toronto I believe.
>
>Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this program?  I have a variety
>of Unix and Xenix machines that I could run it on.  If you can't tell me
>how to get a copy of the program, try to tell me a little about it.
>
>Please reply via usenet mail as I don't get into NEWS often enough to
>avoid missing things.
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Greg Corson
>19141 Summers Drive
>South Bend, IN 46637
>(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
>{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

I have had some many requests for this program. I wish _I_ knew how to get
it, because I'd like to rewrite it for the Mac II. (It doesn't store graphics
in a Macintosh useful format, bbut conversion is possible.)

I am encloing part of the user's manual. It is the only part that tells about
who wrote it and where it' from.

                    Optik Users' Manual
                        Version 0.9

                      John Amanatides
                       Leonard Slipp
                         Andrew Woo
                       December 1986

1.  Intro
-   -----

     Optik is an experimental interactive ray  tracing  pro-
gram  that is being developed at the University of Toronto's
Dynamic Graphics Project.   The  user  defines  objects  (at
present: cone, cube, cylinder, disc, plane, polygon, sphere,
square, triangle) that are transformed to  the  right  shape
and  position,  associates  surfaces  and  textures with the
objects, adds lights, and positions the  virtual  camera  to
render high quality images.

------------
Other than that, I have no information on OPTIK. I am going to ask some
people here about it, and see what is known. It is a very useful package,
doing several ray-tracing things that aren't found in many places. It
will map a picture onto an object as it's texture, which I find very useful.

If anybody finds out how to obtain OPTIK, then pleae email me with how you
got it, as I am also interested. (All that is here is a 386 binary, and
no copyright statement can be found, so I don't know if we licensed it, or
if it is public domain, or what.)

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

tim@amdcad.AMD.COM (Tim Olson) (05/31/88)

In article <1147@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
| I've heard several people mention a ray tracing program called OPTIK lately.
| The program comes from U. of Toronto I believe.
|
| Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this program?  I have a variety
| of Unix and Xenix machines that I could run it on.  If you can't tell me
| how to get a copy of the program, try to tell me a little about it.
|
| Please reply via usenet mail as I don't get into NEWS often enough to
| avoid missing things.

But also post it here for the rest of us who are also interested...

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim@amdcad.amd.com)