[comp.graphics] Mac ][ for recording ani's on videotape

(geezus, an article not about geometry or newusers)

In article <4366@husc6.harvard.edu> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
>In a recent article Leo Bols writes:
>>[ Article originally appeared on comp.graphics. ]
>>In article <1022@luth.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se> writes:
>>>There are some guys here that have made animations with
>>>VideoWorks, and they want to do a rock video of it.
>>>Is it possible to extract video from the MacII (Apple card)
>>>and record it on a VHS recorder? If so, how?
>>>
>>	Sell off the Mac-II, and use the money to buy yourselves a killer
>>Amiga system [...]

Translation: The Mac ][ was a poor choice. No hardware assist for animation.
             Won't output directly to videotape.

>Getting a Mac II to output interlaced at NTSC frame rates is purely a
>software problem; I have sent source in C and a Pascal-like language and
>a binary to the person who asked originally.  The output is still RGB
>(or G only + control panel set to b&w == b&w composite), so you'll need
>something to convert RGB to Composite Color.
>
>The signal is overscanned and good enough to record on a VCR.

Translation: They can mess around with it and if they spend as much on
another hardware gadget as it would cost to buy the cheapest amiga
they might be able to put it onto videotape.

>Note that VideoWorks is a Macintosh product: given that they want to tape
>something that is already done, telling them to use the Amiga isn't much help.

Ok, but you were warned. If you're gonna do a lot of this stuff you just
might find you're trying to use a typewriter to make pie charts.....

--
4 out of 5 net.goddesses recommend richard for the prevention of tooth decay.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                       rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Terry Jones) (04/18/88)

I saw a blurb in Macintosh Today for a $595 board that would let you
mix your Mac II graphics with an NTSC source and get an NTSC output which
you could record on VHS. If you still need the info I will look through my
back issues and find it. Note me.

tj

In article <1988Apr18.134147.2834@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> tj@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Terry Jones) writes:

>I saw a blurb in Macintosh Today for a $595 board that would let you
>mix your Mac II graphics with an NTSC source and get an NTSC output which
>you could record on VHS.

I said to myself, no, no, richard, don't do it. They'll just get mad at you
if you point out that for $595 you can go out and buy an amiga 500 and
_The Director_ and a copy of _Dpaint_ still have enough money left over
for a trip to Baskin Robbins, and not have to worry about crap like this.

So I wont do it.

--
   Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is ?
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) (05/20/88)

In article <3459@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <1988Apr18.134147.2834@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> tj@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Terry Jones) writes:
> >
> >I saw a blurb in Macintosh Today for a $595 board that would let you
> I said to myself, no, no, richard, don't do it. They'll just get mad at you
> if you point out that for $595 you can go out and buy an amiga 500 and
> _The Director_ and a copy of _Dpaint_ still have enough money left over
> for a trip to Baskin Robbins, and not have to worry about crap like this.
>
> So I wont do it.

J'ever notice about the only thing this guy Sexton can do is mouth on and on
about how bad the Mac is at anything versus an Amiga.  No fact to back up
his dribble,  just one common underlying message,  whatever the Mac can do
the Amiga can do it cheaper and better.

In an email barrage from him I was preached to by this guy about how bad the
Mac II is at animation,  graphics,  etc.  I purposely went back over this
newsgroup just to convince myself that is just wasn't me he was assulting.
Well,  I'm convinced,  this guy's a loon.  Every article he posts contains
at least one derrogatory remark about the Mac,  and several examples of how
his cheap little Amiga can out-animate,  etc.,  etc.,  the Mac.

Now,  I'm not a reader of comp.graphics and I apologize for this note.  I
wanted to see wether Richard had any any objectivity or fact in any of his
postings.  Thanks,  Richard.

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski         |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        uunet!eplrx7!lad            |       Engineering Physics Lab

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (06/06/88)

In article <609@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:

>Now,  I'm not a reader of comp.graphics and I apologize for this note.  I
>wanted to see wether Richard had any any objectivity or fact in any of his
>postings.  Thanks,  Richard.

If you are not a reader, and your note requires an apology, then why
bother posting it at all ?

Hedley