[comp.graphics] VGA from C

craig@cooper.cooper.EDU (Craig Steinberger) (06/15/88)

Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?

--
         Craig Steinberger at the Cooper Union, NY, NY.
           INTERNET: craig%cooper.cooper.edu@NYU.EDU

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (06/15/88)

From article <1332@cooper.cooper.EDU>, by craig@cooper.cooper.EDU (Craig Steinberger):
> Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?

Buy Turbo C from Borland, their new graphics routines are great!

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

leo@thoth22.berkeley.edu (Leo Pereira) (06/16/88)

In article <732@naucse.UUCP} wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
}From article <1332@cooper.cooper.EDU}, by craig@cooper.cooper.EDU (Craig Steinberger):
}} Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?
}
}Buy Turbo C from Borland, their new graphics routines are great!
}
}--
}Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)

Is this at all possible from Microsoft C?  Does MSC have any
graphic routines?

L Pereira

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (06/16/88)

In article <10978@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> leo@thoth22.berkeley.edu
(Leo Pereira) writes:
[VGA graphics from C]
>Is this at all possible from Microsoft C?  Does MSC have any
>graphic routines?

I have MSC 5.1 which includes a graphics library that does handle
VGA (as well as EGA, CGA, etc.).  I don't know if any earlier versions
of MSC had this capability.

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (06/16/88)

In article <10978@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> leo@thoth22.berkeley.edu (Leo Pereira) writes:
>}From article <1332@cooper.cooper.EDU}, by craig@cooper.cooper.EDU (Craig Steinberger):
>}} Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?
>Is this at all possible from Microsoft C?  Does MSC have any
>graphic routines?

Yes, it has a fairly complete set of graphics routines, with scaling, lines,
arcs, and the usual stuff.  Consult the manual for details.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

kworrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (06/16/88)

MSC5.0 has quite a few graphics routines and has
access to all the standard IBM video controllers.
I suggest you call them and get the standard
brochure for 5.1.  The one I got had a list of
all available functions (everything, not just the
graphics).

Kurt J. Worrell	                 USEnet1:    ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!kworrell
Gould CSD-Urbana                 ARPAnet:    kworrell@gswd-vms.arpa
1101 E. University               !ARPAnet1:  kworrell@Gould.COM
Urbana, IL 61801                 !ARPAnet2:  kworrell@gswd-vms.Gould.COM
**** Standard Disclaimer ***     BELLnet:    (217) 384-8500, x740

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (06/17/88)

>> Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?
>
>Is this at all possible from Microsoft C?  Does MSC have any
>graphic routines?
>
>L Pereira

You can do it in its MCGA mode (the 320 x 200 256 color mode) and its higher
resolution modes that have fewer colors.  I did a program that used the MCGA
mode on the model 60 and it worked just fine (and it was very easy to write
because the library routines are extremely simple).

There are two caveats though, you must have either version 5.0 or Quick C (the
real documentation for the graphics routines are in chapter 4 of the Quick C
manual, fortunately that comes with 5.0 also).  The other caveat is that you
can forget using any of the fancier modes on the new Super VGA cards with the
Microsoft library, if you want to use those you'll just have to get down and
dirty.  However, this shortcoming probably affects the Turbo libraries also :-(

John Munsch

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (06/18/88)

>Does anyone know how to access the VGA board on a IBM Model 80 from C?

Craig:
I presume you mean low level access to the chip set rather than
simply calling the BIOS routines. is this correct?  If so, it
becomes much less a 'C' problem than a doc problem on the card
itself.  I don't have any info on that specifically, but I might
suggest you call someplace like the Computer Literacy Bookstore
in Sunnyvale, California. They know computers and know the
available books: they also mail order I understand, although
I am a local so I've no direct proof of that.  Once you have
the chip stuff, it should be easy to define some memory variables
and play to your heart's content.

mbk