[comp.graphics] Graphics text for beginners?

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (07/08/88)

For years I've worked in and around programming and have never
done much more in graphics than drawing a circle on the screen.
I know I have the math knowledge/understanding to do more, but have
never really gotten into it.

Now I'm starting to play with my computer again, and want to dive into
teaching myself about graphics. Can anyone suggest a text or book
that is tutorial in nature; clearly written; and can help me build a
solid foundation of knowledge.?  Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

mbk

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (07/09/88)

>Now I'm starting to play with my computer again, and want to dive into
>teaching myself about graphics. Can anyone suggest a text or book
>that is tutorial in nature; clearly written; and can help me build a
>solid foundation of knowledge.?  Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

David F. Rogers:  "Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics".
Much better than Foley & Van Dam.

-Ted

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (07/09/88)

The classic intro text is:
	Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics
	by Foley & Van Dam
	published by Addison-Wesley

I understand that the second edition is now (or will soon) be available,
with an expanded section on input and user interfaces.

Ken
--
uucp:  {ames!atari, ucbvax!imagen, nsc, pyramid, uunet}!daisy!klee
arpanet:  atari!daisy!klee@ames.arc.nasa.gov

STOP CONTRA AID - BOYCOTT COCAINE

eugene@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (07/10/88)

In article <1359@daisy.UUCP> klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
>The classic intro text is:
>	Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics
>	by Foley & Van Dam
>	published by Addison-Wesley

Funny, I thought Newman and Sproull was THE classic intro text,
and don't forget Rogers.....

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."

len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (07/10/88)

From article <11512@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by eugene@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Eugene N. Miya):
> In article <1359@daisy.UUCP> klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) writes:
>>The classic intro text is:
>>	Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics
>>	by Foley & Van Dam
>>	published by Addison-Wesley
>
> Funny, I thought Newman and Sproull was THE classic intro text,
> and don't forget Rogers.....

Computer Graphics Vol 22 #2 has an excellent review of the texts used in
computer science courses.  Of some 97 colleges reported, 35 use foley and
van dam, 15 use Hern and Baker (prentice hall), 10 use rogers (mcGraw Hill)
and 5 or fewer use each of the next 16 texts listed.

Len Levine
len@evax.milw.wisc.edu

Randy_rhollingsworth_Hollingsworth@cup.portal.com (07/13/88)

Another highly recommended graphics book is:

Microcomputer Displays, Graphics, and Animation
by Bruce A. Artwick

It gets into very hands-on, non-theoretical discussions of implementing
graphics algorithms on small machines, with emphasis on optimizing 3-D
animation for speed. What a coincidence that Mr. Artwick wrote Flight
Simulator for the IBM, Amiga, Atari, C-64, etc, etc! I found it much easier
to go code from his book than from the Foley & Van Dam megabook.