[comp.graphics] compressing rgb images

wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (07/11/88)

Can anyone point me to some infomation on compressing rgb images.  At this
point I'm completely open to ideas.  I have some ideas but would like to
know what others have tried before I go off the deep end.  My end intent
is using the compressed images for animation, so fratal compression stuff
is out as is anything that takes huge amounts of processing.

                           Thank you,
                              Wayne Knapp

kppicott@violet.waterloo.edu (Dewey Duck) (07/13/88)

In article <2975@tekig5.TEK.COM> wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:

>Can anyone point me to some infomation on compressing rgb images.  At this

I'm also interested in a special class of these.  Those that are purely
monochrome (foreground/background) and sparsely arranged (like those found
in animation keyframes).  I am particularly interested to know if any one has
done any work on spline-encoding.  Here, I use this term to mean converting a
bitmap format into a series of splines representing component curves of the
overall image.  The end use of such data would be real-time in-betweening of
keyframes.  If the in-betweening is not possible, I would still like to know
how to compress a reasonable number of image frames into a small amount of
memory.

--- Kevin Picott, or in real life:

UUCP:  [uunet!]watmath!watcgl!kppicott
*-NET: kppicott@watcgl.waterloo.{edu, ca, cdn}
POST:  Home                           School
       516 Scarlett Crescent          350 Columbia Avenue, Unit 76
       Burlington, Ontario            Waterloo, Ontario
       L7L 5M2                        N2J 4B6
       (416) 637-1721                 (519)

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (07/16/88)

In article <7715@watdragon.waterloo.edu> kppicott@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Picott) writes:
>In article <2975@tekig5.TEK.COM> wayneck@tekig5.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:
>>
>>Can anyone point me to some infomation on compressing rgb images.  At this
>
>I'm also interested in a special class of these.  Those that are purely
>monochrome (foreground/background) and sparsely arranged (like those found
>in animation keyframes).  I am particularly interested to know if any one has
>done any work on spline-encoding.  Here, I use this term to mean converting a
>bitmap format into a series of splines representing component curves of the
>overall image.  The end use of such data would be real-time in-betweening of
>keyframes.  If the in-betweening is not possible, I would still like to know
>how to compress a reasonable number of image frames into a small amount of
>memory.

I'm working on a 3D graphics animation package for the Atari ST right
now (90 % ready 8-). Amongst matrix operations like multiplication,
rotation, translation etc. it will contain routines to compress and
expand image frames; both by storing end-point coordinates and by
storing the screen data in a compressed format. The former method is
useful if you have a fast line drawer (there is one too in the package)
because each line of the image has to be rebuild, the latter is useful
with many lines or curves or colours or whatever (an image that is complex
to build). Both methods can 'inbetween' as you call it if the number of
lines to draw is not too high (I've not searched for a limit yet).
Sources will be available on comp.sources.misc, probably within two
months from now (most C code, a bit MC-68000 assembler). The binaries
will go to comp.binaries.atari.st (a demo program and a library).
No fancy stuff like clipping, displaying surfaces , support of colours
and different drawing modes yet (although this could be added in a next
'release').

Of course I'm also interested in any other compression techniques that turn
up from this discussion.

     Leo.