[comp.graphics] RenderMan Interface availability

ri@pixar.UUCP (RenderMan Information) (07/19/88)

A copy of Pixar's May 18 press release announcing the RenderMan Interface
is posted in comp.newprod .  The title is:
    Pixar Publishes RenderMan (TM) Interface for 3-D Scene Description;
  Receives Industry Support as Standard for Photorealistic Image Synthesis

The specification document is over 100 pages long and will not be
posted to the net.  If you would like a copy of the RenderMan Interface
specification, please send a U.S.Mail request on your letterhead to
	RenderMan
	Pixar
	3240 Kerner Blvd.
	San Rafael, CA  94901
Include a check made out to "Pixar" for $15 to cover postage and handling.
Please allow 3 weeks for delivery.

If you have questions, please mail pixar!ri or pixar!renderman.
--
UUCP:		{sun,ucbvax}!pixar!ri		RenderMan, 3240 Kerner Blvd
ARPA,BITNET:	ri%pixar.uucp@sun.com		Pixar, San Rafael, CA, 94901

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (07/23/88)

In article <2026@pixar.UUCP> ri@pixar.UUCP (RenderMan Information) writes:
>The specification document is over 100 pages long and will not be
>posted to the net.  If you would like a copy of the RenderMan Interface
>specification, please send a U.S.Mail request on your letterhead to ...

100 pages is something like 1/2 meg or about 10 postings.  If the net
can handle 30-odd posts for a game of mahjongg, then surely...

I thought this spec. was supposed to be something SIGNIFICANT in
the computer graphics industry.  Why else does this newsgroup exist??

-scott

In article <749@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <2026@pixar.UUCP> ri@pixar.UUCP (RenderMan Information) writes:
>>The specification document is over 100 pages long and will not be
>>posted to the net.  If you would like a copy of the RenderMan Interface
>>specification, please send a U.S.Mail request on your letterhead to ...
>
>100 pages is something like 1/2 meg or about 10 postings.  If the net
>can handle 30-odd posts for a game of mahjongg, then surely...

The mahjongg tiles postings certainly did not go unnoticed; there
was a small ruckus in news.* about it, actually.

>I thought this spec. was supposed to be something SIGNIFICANT in
>the computer graphics industry.  Why else does this newsgroup exist??

To answer the time honoured question: ``How do I convert RGB --> CMY'' :-)

In reality, the renderman stuff is not of intrest, I suspect to
the general readership of this group, hence, I dont agree it should
be posted (but wouldnt mind if it was), but it would be nice it
email requests for it were honoured (not everybody has access to
ftp) and if 100+ requests were received (unlikely) maybe it should
be posted.

--
        Many have been bought by rich people, from other countries.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard