[comp.graphics] BSP algorithm references needed

bsmith@postgres.berkeley.edu (Brian Smith) (07/26/88)

	Does anyone know where I can get a reference to the Binary
Space Partition method of calculating the redraw order for the
painters algorithm. I've checked all the standard references, but
have yet to find anything.

-----
Brian C. Smith				arpa:  bsmith@postgres.Berkeley.EDU
University of California, Berkeley
Center for Environ. Design Research	phone: (415)643-9722

kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) (07/27/88)

In article <25213@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bsmith@postgres.berkeley.edu (Brian Smith) writes:

>	Does anyone know where I can get a reference to the Binary
>Space Partition method of calculating the redraw order for the
>painters algorithm. I've checked all the standard references, but
>have yet to find anything.

The two earliest references are:

Fuchs, H., Kedem, Z.M., and Naylor, B.F., "On Visible Surface Generation by A
Priori Tree Structures," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH '80), Vol. 14, No. 3,
July 1980, pp. 124-133.

Fuchs, H., Abram, G.D., and Grant, E.D., "Near Real-Time Shaded Display of RigidObjects," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH '83), Vol. 17, No. 3, July 1983,
pp. 65-69.

--
|-^-~--v^v--^^~v~---^-- Kris Iskandar ---^-~~v^-v^---~--v^v^-~v^---~~v^^----
Electrical Engineering Dept. | INTERNET: kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu

kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Kris Iskandar) (07/27/88)

>In article <25213@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> bsmith@postgres.berkeley.edu (Brian Smith) writes:
>
>	Does anyone know where I can get a reference to the Binary
>Space Partition method of calculating the redraw order for the
>painters algorithm. I've checked all the standard references, but
>have yet to find anything.

The two earliest references are:

Fuchs, H., Kedem, Z.M., and Naylor, B.F., "On Visible Surface Generation by A
Priori Tree Structures," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH '80), Vol. 14, No. 3,
July 1980, pp. 124-133.

Fuchs, H., Abram, G.D., and Grant, E.D., "Near Real-Time Shaded Display of
Rigid Objects," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH '83), Vol. 17, No. 3,
July 1983, pp. 65-69.

--
|-^-~--v^v--^^~v~---^-- Kris Iskandar ---^-~~v^-v^---~--v^v^-~v^---~~v^^----
Electrical Engineering Dept. | INTERNET: kis@beach.cis.ufl.edu
University of Florida        | BITNET  : iskand@ufeng
Gainesvile, FL 32611, U.S.A. | UUCP: ...gatech!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!kis

les@trigraph.UUCP (Les Gondor) (07/27/88)

Try the SIGGRAPH '83 proceedings:

	"Near Real-Time Shaded Display of Rigid Objects", Henry Fuchs,
	Gregory D. Abram, Eric D. Grant, pp. 65-9

Les Gondor, Trigraph Inc.	"Why not just do it by knife?"
{uunet!ai.toronto.edu!utcsri, decvax!utzoo}!trigraph!les
DOMAIN: lgondor@csri.toronto.edu
Canada Post: 5 Lower Sherbourne St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5A 2P3
Phone: (416) 363-8841