[comp.graphics] Wanted: Information on Systems for Graphics Design

gail@hrshcx.UUCP (Gail Edwards ) (07/13/88)

An artist freind would like to put together hardware and software for
a graphics system priced under $30K.  The system would be used for de-
signing and printing works to be given to a silkscreen artist for re-
production.  The works are abstract/geometrical in nature and use
a wide range of colors and shades.

Important considerations include:
	- Ease of use (the artist is not a programmer)
	- Interactive design capabilities
	- Display quality
	- Printer quality

Any ideas or suggestions on quality hardware and software that meets these
needs would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

	- Gail Edwards
	  UUCP Address:  novavax!hrshcx!gail

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (07/14/88)

In article <407@hrshcx.UUCP> gail@hrshcx.UUCP (Gail Edwards ) writes:
>The system would be used for designing
>and printing works to be given to a silkscreen artist for reproduction.
>The works are abstract/geometrical in nature and use
>a wide range of colors and shades.

When you come out with a fractal tie, let me know.

John Carlson
carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov

alain@dgp.toronto.edu (Alain Fournier) (07/18/88)

In article <22324@tis.llnl.gov> carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:
>In article <407@hrshcx.UUCP> gail@hrshcx.UUCP (Gail Edwards ) writes:
>>The system would be used for designing
>>and printing works to be given to a silkscreen artist for reproduction.
>>The works are abstract/geometrical in nature and use
>>a wide range of colors and shades.
>
>When you come out with a fractal tie, let me know.
>
>John Carlson
>carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov

I am embarrassed to admit it, but I once bought a fractal tie from Neiman-Marcus
(though they did not call it such). They were silk, and came in a variety of
non-fractal colours.

jwf0978@tahoma.UUCP (John W. Fawcett) (07/21/88)

> When you come out with a fractal tie, let me know.
>
> John Carlson
> carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov

I don't know where you can get a fractal tie, but I saw some very
colorful fractal tee-shirts at the Pacific Science Center gift shop
in the Seattle center.  They also had some with color pictures of
distant galaxies, and one that had a picture of Einstien.

                         John

saponara@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Saponara) (07/28/88)

>I don't know where you can get a fractal tie, but I saw some very
>colorful fractal tee-shirts at the Pacific Science Center gift shop
>in the Seattle center.  They also had some with color pictures of
>distant galaxies, and one that had a picture of Einstien.

While we're here, felt I should point out:

	Inquiring Images
	Charles M. Fitch
	3619 Myrtle Avenue
	Long Beach, CA  90807
	(213)-426-7727

makes fractal t-shirts (he was the guy hawking his wares at last year's
SIGGRAPH, and'll probably be there again this year), posters, prints,
whoopee cushions, etc.  He probably hasn't thought of ties, though.

Anyway, no, I don't get a kickback for posting this.  I bought a few of
his t-shirts last year and they've held up quite nicely.  There's also:

	Art Matrix
	PO Box 880
	Ithaca, NY  14851-0880
	(607)-277-0959

who put out wonderful postcards, and also posters, t-shirts, antimacassars,
etc.  Charley Fitch is moving to Ithaca soon, as it turns out.  What will
happen to the world economic order when the two major producers of fractal
t-shirts become based in a small college town is too frightening to contemplate.

Zats all,

Eric Haines (the one who is not John Saponara)

jonathan@hpisoa2.HP.COM (Jonathan Hue) (07/29/88)

No, this is not another fractal tie story...

Here are the names of a few companies which sell turnkey systems that
do what you want:

CGL
Dicomed
DuPont Design Technologies
Genigraphics
Lightspeed
NPS

There are many others.

I think you'd save a lot of money if you just got a PC clone or a Mac II,
a Targa board, and bought a paint program from some company that OEM'd
it from Island Graphics.

-Jonathan