[comp.graphics] Color images

david@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Feldman) (07/29/88)

Briefly, where can I get 24-bit color images from (preferably 512x512 pxls)?
I know of lots of places to bet B+W, but not color.  Specifically, I am
looking for two images, one called "the lady" [close up of face of woman
wearing feathered head] and one called the "mandrill" [close up of face of
mandrill].  But, any good images will do.  Thanx.

_   /|					Dave Feldman
\'o.O'					david@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
=(___)=		Ok, cough!
   U					DSL - land of wonder and enchantment
ACK! PHHT!

Standard Disclaimer: I am not Bill.  I have never been Bill.  I don't ever
	intend to become Bill.  I did not create the above representation
	of Bill.  I don't have cash; send me the Bill.

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (08/01/88)

In article <5689@super.upenn.edu> david@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Feldman) writes:
>Briefly, where can I get 24-bit color images from (preferably 512x512 pxls)?
>I know of lots of places to bet B+W, but not color.  Specifically, I am
>looking for two images, one called "the lady" [close up of face of woman
>wearing feathered head] and one called the "mandrill" [close up of face of
>mandrill].  But, any good images will do.  Thanx.

Well, I have A LOT of 24-bit color images which I just today
installed in ftp on the machine hi.unm.edu (129.24.13.10 or
192.31.154.1).  At the time of this posting, I have 35 24-bit color
images (of which one is the mandrill) and 19 8-bit gray scale images
(of which one is "lady", though I call it 'feath').

The images have all been compressed, where possible, using 12 bits
(for those folks on PC's) and are in raw form (left to right, top to
bottom).  The dimensions of the images can be found in the README's
in the directory where the images are located.

In the past, I have been willing to make tapes for those folks who
don't have Internet access.  This time, however, I will have to say
that I will not be providing this service, unless someone can
convience me otherwise.

Currently, the images are in /pub/image.  Below is an ls -CFR of this
directory:
   README  b_w/    color/

   b_w:
   new/    old/

   b_w/new:
   README          boat2.Z         boats.Z         ocean.Z
   beach1.Z        boat3.Z         coral.Z         palms.Z
   beach2.Z        boat4.Z         flowers.Z       pitons.Z
   boat1.Z         boat5.Z         land.Z          sunset1.Z

   b_w/old:
   README  ball.Z  feath.Z moon.Z  skier.Z

   color:
   general/        new/            old/

   color/general:
   README          fun.b.Z         linespr.g.Z     pitts.r.Z       sphere.b.Z
   beauty.b.Z      fun.g.Z         linespr.r.Z     plane.b.Z       sphere.g.Z
   beauty.g.Z      fun.r.Z         m109.b.Z        plane.g.Z       sphere.r.Z
   beauty.r.Z      gizaa.b.Z       m109.g.Z        plane.r.Z       tm.b.Z
   bird.b.Z        gizaa.g.Z       m109.r.Z        rand.b.Z        tm.g.Z
   bird.g.Z        gizaa.r.Z       mars.b.Z        rand.g.Z        tm.r.Z
   bird.r          kitty.b.Z       mars.g.Z        rand.r.Z        wdw.b.Z
   dragon.b.Z      kitty.g.Z       mars.r.Z        save100.b.Z     wdw.g.Z
   dragon.g.Z      kitty.r.Z       mbg.b.Z         save100.g.Z     wdw.r.Z
   dragon.r.Z      landsat.b.Z     mbg.g.Z         save100.r.Z     world.b.Z
   foggy.b.Z       landsat.g.Z     mbg.r.Z         skull.b.Z       world.g.Z
   foggy.g.Z       landsat.r.Z     pitts.b.Z       skull.g.Z       world.r.Z
   foggy.r.Z       linespr.b.Z     pitts.g.Z       skull.r.Z

   color/new:
   README          birds.g.Z       boat4.b.Z       coral.r.Z       sunset2.g.Z
   beach1.b.Z      birds.r         boat4.g.Z       palms.b.Z       sunset2.r.Z
   beach1.g.Z      boat1.b.Z       boat4.r.Z       palms.g.Z       tree.b.Z
   beach1.r.Z      boat1.g.Z       boats.b.Z       palms.r.Z       tree.g.Z
   beach2.b.Z      boat1.r.Z       boats.g.Z       rainbow.b.Z     tree.r.Z
   beach2.g.Z      boat3.b.Z       boats.r.Z       rainbow.g.Z
   beach2.r.Z      boat3.g.Z       coral.b.Z       rainbow.r.Z
   birds.b.Z       boat3.r.Z       coral.g.Z       sunset2.b.Z

   color/old:
   README          balloon.g.Z     mandril.b.Z     mandril.r.Z
   balloon.b.Z     balloon.r.Z     mandril.g.Z

If you have problems, please let me know.  Also, if you have other color
images that are PD, please let me know.

>Dave Feldman
>	david@dsl.cis.upenn.edu

Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
University of New Mexico
Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131
	e-mail:
	cyrus@hi.unm.edu or
	cyrus%hi.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu

In article <5689@super.upenn.edu> david@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Feldman) writes:
   Briefly, where can I get 24-bit color images from (preferably 512x512 pxls)?

Well, GENIE, the timesharing service, offers free photo digitization.
Of course, the catch is that you have/get to download it from them at $5.00
per hour.

--
nelson@clutx.bitnet, nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!nelson