[comp.graphics] Antialiasing lines

krogh@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/29/88)

I am looking for information about antialiasing lines, besides the
obvious references (Hearn & Baker, Rogers, etc.).  Code or
pseudocode would be apprieciated.

Thanks,

Mike Krogh
NCSA
Bitnet:  13009@ncsavmsa
Internet: 13009@ncsaa.ncsa.uiuc.edu

t-benw@microsoft.UUCP (Benjamin Waldmin) (08/02/88)

In article <46900019@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> krogh@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am looking for information about antialiasing lines, besides the
>obvious references (Hearn & Baker, Rogers, etc.).  Code or
>pseudocode would be apprieciated.

You might take a look at an algorithm called the A-buffer developed
by Loren Carpenter.  I implemented it for a graphics class I took at
Harvard last spring.  I think you can find it in the 1984 SIGGRAPH
Proceedings.

Ben Waldman
Software Design Engineer
Microsoft Corp.

Disclaimer:  these are my thoughts, opinions and ideas, and are not related
to those of my employer.

bcorrie@uvicctr.UUCP (Brian Corrie) (08/06/88)

In article <1669@microsoft.UUCP> t-benw@microsoft.uucp (Benjamin Waldman) writes:
>In article <46900019@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> krogh@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>I am looking for information about antialiasing lines, besides the
>>obvious references (Hearn & Baker, Rogers, etc.).  Code or
>>pseudocode would be apprieciated.
>
>You might take a look at an algorithm called the A-buffer developed
>by Loren Carpenter.  I implemented it for a graphics class I took at
>Harvard last spring.  I think you can find it in the 1984 SIGGRAPH
>Proceedings.
>
>Ben Waldman
>Software Design Engineer
>Microsoft Corp.
>
>Disclaimer:  these are my thoughts, opinions and ideas, and are not related
>to those of my employer.

I am also looking for general Aliasing algorithms. I am working on a
Ray Tracing package here at UVic, and I am interested in finding info
or implementations of a post processing anti - aliasing stage to the
scenes my ray tracer produces. After the posting of the Floyd-Steinberg
dithering algorithm, I thought to myself, if this exists out there,
maybe some aliasing code exists too. BTW, thanks for the dithering
stuff guys, it works like a charm. Ya just gotta love the NET 8^)

So, whats the story. Any one have anti aliasing running on 24 bit sun
rasterfiles yet. Any one have good sources for me. I just gotta get
rid of some of those jaggies.

Thanks in advance gang, and keep the info coming.....

	Brian.

--
  Brian Corrie, University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., Canada

  Harvard Law :

  Under the most rigourously controlled conditions of pressure,
  temperature, volume, humidity and other variables, the organism
  will do as it damn well pleases.