[comp.graphics] Mac<->D-Size Plotter interface?

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (08/30/88)

Has anyone seen a product that would allow a Macintosh to
drive a D-size pen plotter?  A friend of mine needs to output
some large scheduling charts from a program that doesn't
support plotters directly so he would need some kind of
generic printer driver that supports plotters...either that or
a plotter that can handle postscript.

Another possibility would be a laser or electrostatic printer that
allows D size output and is Mac compatable.

If anyone knows of something that would fit the bill, please send
USENET mail to the address below or call me at the phone number
listed.

Thanks in advance

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(616) 926-2148 (weekdays only)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

mst@csun.UUCP (Mike Temkin) (08/31/88)

In article <1209@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Has anyone seen a product that would allow a Macintosh to
>drive a D-size pen plotter?

>Greg Corson

You might try MacPlot by MicroSpot.  It comes with a plotter driver
that you duplicate and configure to fit a variety of plotters.  We
are currently using it to print from a Mac to a Houston Instruments
GDP-19 (speaking DMPL).  You can customize the fill patterns, line
types and pens.  It will print from (as much as we have tested)
programs such as MacDraw, MacPaint, FullPaint, and CricketDraw.  It
seems to work with any application that will print to an imagewriter
(not bad huh).

The driver is selected through the chooser and brings up its own menu
when asked to print.  You can print to the device or to a file for
later plotting using either the MacPlot program or a DA that comes
with it.  I picked up the Professional version (they also have a
standard version) from Egghead Software's Clearance center in
Santa Monica, CA for only 19.99 (I think it retails for about $200).

--
Mike Temkin
...!{sdcrdcf,hplabs,psivax,ttidca}!csun!mx!mst