[comp.graphics] RGB -> CMY -> hardcopy

cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (08/29/88)

I am working on a utility that takes an RGB image (3 files, 1 for R, 1
for G and 1 for B), converts it halftones, and then converts it to CMY
so that I can print it on a color CMYB versatec printer we have.

My problem is that the colors don't seem to be coming out looking
correct.  Cyan comes out looking blue, blue comes out looking purple,
green comes out too dark, etc.....

Several people have suggested looking into using chromaticity.  Looking
at Foley and Van Dam's "Fundamentals of Interactive Computer Graphics",
as well as Roger's "Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics", I find
that I am totally lost.

Are there scale factors I need to multiply with my colors to get them
to come out looking correct on my CMY printer?

Can I use chromaticity concepts to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance for any comments, pointers to other books, pointers
to PD software that already does this, etc....

The solution is probably staring me right in the face, all I need is
someone to shove my face in it. :^)

---
Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
University of New Mexico
Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131
	e-mail:
	cyrus@hi.unm.edu or
	cyrus%hi.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu

pickel@polyof.UUCP ( Prof. Pickel ) (09/08/88)

In article <23632@hi.unm.edu>, cyrus@hi.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:

> I am working on a utility that takes an RGB image (3 files, 1 for R, 1
> for G and 1 for B), converts it halftones, and then converts it to CMY
> so that I can print it on a color CMYB versatec printer we have.
>
> My problem is that the colors don't seem to be coming out looking
> correct.  Cyan comes out looking blue, blue comes out looking purple,
> green comes out too dark, etc.....
we have been working on 512 by 512 by 8bits RGB to 2560 by 2560 CYMB
for a shinko thermal tranfer plotter

there is a major difference in the colors printed depending on the
rate at which the data is sent to the plotter

at slower speeds it was necessary to shift the RGB to get more
saturated colors

at the highest speed straight C = 255 - R etc Black = min CYM
seems to work quite well (followed by ordered dither)

currently we use a sharpened gaussian filter to go from 512 to 2560

total processing time for each picture is about 27 minutes on a VAX
class machine (16 min CPU)

I'm working on faster approaches.