[comp.graphics] Ray Tracer

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (09/02/88)

In article <2619@uoregon.uoregon.edu> markv@drizzle.UUCP (Mark VandeWettering) writes:
>Here is the first release of my totally whiz-bang ray tracer.  Okay, so
>it isn't TOTALLY whiz bang, but it does have some nice features.  It
>uses bounding volumes, has cones, spheres, polygons and cylinders as
>primtives, reads Eric Haines NFF file format images and more....
>
>[doc extract]
>Xo	It reads Eric Haine's NFF file format for objects.  Included is a small
>X	data file for spheres resting above a polygon.  Obtain his NFF package
>X	if you want some more fun data files
>[no need to repeat whole doc :-)
>XMark VandeWettering

	What exactly is NFF?  I have hacked a few ray tracers before, but
haven't come across this before (I don't get around much anymore, I got
married :-).  I assume it is a way to describe the objects that comprise a
scene ......

	Also could someone EMail me Eric's NFF docs/sources/etc.  I would
be very gratefully :-).  If anyone is interested in *other* ray tracers, I
have source to DBW Render (an excellent ray tracer ported from the VAX to
the Amiga) and Tracer (a crude spheres only (but a good starter :-) tracer
for the Amiga).  I am in the process of obtaining QRT (quick ray tracer (if
there is such a thingee ;-)) source (also for the Amiga).

				Thanx,
				KJohn

I can be reached at:

RealTime (prefered):  1(312)418-1236  (6pm to 10:30pm central time)

USmail:               John Kjellman             E-Mail: kjohn@richp1.UUCP
                      17302 Park Ave.
                      Lansing IL 60438

--
| Amiga ///    | Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything real |
|  Man /// 500 | or imaginary, except maybe my own opions, but then again .... |
|  \\\/// 1000 +---------------------------------------------------------------+
|   \XX/  2000 | "I didn't do it, it must be a bug in the operating system."   |

markv@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Mark VandeWettering) (09/03/88)

>	What exactly is NFF?  I have hacked a few ray tracers before, but
>haven't come across this before (I don't get around much anymore, I got
>married :-).  I assume it is a way to describe the objects that comprise a
>scene ......

	Yup, it is.  I have been trying to contact Eric Haines to see
	about the possibility of reposting his NFF package (Eric, if you
	are reading this, send me some mail!)  It does state that this
	software can be redistributed and freely used, so I guess it is
	allright if I repost it, but I wanted to verify with Eric first.

>	Also could someone EMail me Eric's NFF docs/sources/etc.  I would
>be very gratefully :-).  If anyone is interested in *other* ray tracers, I
>have source to DBW Render (an excellent ray tracer ported from the VAX to
>the Amiga) and Tracer (a crude spheres only (but a good starter :-) tracer
>for the Amiga).  I am in the process of obtaining QRT (quick ray tracer (if
>there is such a thingee ;-)) source (also for the Amiga).

	Isn't DBW Render copyrighted?  I believe the source code may not
	be redistributed, I tried to obtain the sources, but aborted
	because of the restriction on use/redistribution.

	If any of you use my raytracer, or modify it, let me know.

Mark VandeWettering

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (09/04/88)

In article <2660@uoregon.uoregon.edu> markv@drizzle.UUCP (Mark VandeWettering) writes:
>	Isn't DBW Render copyrighted?  I believe the source code may not
>	be redistributed, I tried to obtain the sources, but aborted
>	because of the restriction on use/redistribution.

The first release of DBW Render was freely redistributable. I believe it
even found it's way to a Fish disk. The story I hear is of an evil employer
seeing $$$ and telling Dave that since he wrote it on the company computer
it belongs to the company and that no further releases may be given away.

The current release uses "Look Up A Word In The Manual" type copy
protection, the most annoying kind I have experienced to date.

If someone really wants to pay for an Amiga ray tracer, I'd send him in the
direction of one of Turbo Silver, Videoscape 3D, or Sculpt 3D, all excellent
products. These products are in fierce competition with each other, and get
better all the time. I saw a pamphlet in Turbo Silver that had an ad for a
fascinating terrain generator module.  Just think, combine a high quality
terrain generator and the logistics of a board wargame...

Oh yeah, I hear that some of the commercial Amiga ray tracing software is
being ported to the Mac II. These products have been around for a while, so
it's a good chance for Mac users to get their hands on some already-evolved
ray-tracing software.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  (Looking for his towel)           {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (09/08/88)

In article <10207@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>Oh yeah, I hear that some of the commercial Amiga ray tracing software is
>being ported to the Mac II. These products have been around for a while, so
>it's a good chance for Mac users to get their hands on some already-evolved
>ray-tracing software.

For a lot higher price, though... I read that the Mac version of
Byte by Byte's Sculpt 3D and Animate 3D packages will start from $500.

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com