[comp.graphics] World map

siegel@hc.DSPO.GOV (josh Siegel) (09/08/88)

Does anybody have a polygonal database of the world?

	thanks
		--Josh Siegel
--
Josh Siegel		(siegel@hc.dspo.gov)
I like using a C-47A "puff dragon" to go shooting beer cans with.

peterson@cleo.SW.MCC.COM (James Peterson) (09/13/88)

In article <14371@hc.DSPO.GOV>, siegel@hc.DSPO.GOV (josh Siegel) writes:
> Does anybody have a polygonal database of the world?

Since no one else seems to be answering this, I'll mention what I have:

I have a line segment map of the world.  Points are in latitude and
longitude.  The complete world is 103496 line segments.  Each segment
has 3 decimal places of accuracy, and consists of 4 points (x1,y1)
(x2,y2) for an average of 31 characters per segment, or a total of
3,191,655 bytes -- too large to post or e-mail.  Just North America
is 400,000 bytes of 12534 segments.

I hope someday to convert this world map to a more compact form,
but that's not what I get paid for.

jim

--
James Peterson
james.peterson@mcc.com  or  ...sally!im4u!milano!peterson

awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) (09/14/88)

In article <1197@cleo.SW.MCC.COM> peterson@cleo.SW.MCC.COM (James Peterson) writes:
>In article <14371@hc.DSPO.GOV>, siegel@hc.DSPO.GOV (josh Siegel) writes:
>> Does anybody have a polygonal database of the world?

On a related note, I have some C code used to compress down the World Data Bank
II (six million vertices) tape set into a more managable size. The original
data is encoded in EBCDIC on five (5) 2400' mag tapes at 1600bpi, using FORTRAN
style card image records of twenty bytes. Records encode vector chains, which
are not polygons (unlike WDB I).

My C code generates a companion bounding box entry for each chain, and reduces
the vector data to just over two bytes per vector (one byte each for delta-x
and delta-y vector motions, with the occasional long chains fragmented) With
the ~10:1 data reduction the entire set can now live on one volume, or at
6250bpi on a runt 600' tape.

Although the WDBII data is detailed, it is clearly the work of lots of monkeys
sitting at digitizing tables -- the chains have no rhyme or reason, and even
single vector chains which form the boundaries of small lakes and islands are
not guaranteed to close (make that "are guaranteed not to close").

If there is enough interest I will post the software; I have no desire (nor
liscensing authority) to send off the data _per se_, excerpted or otherwise.

    /Alan Paeth
    Computer Graphics Laboratory
    University of Waterloo

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (09/15/88)

How about maps with physical type information - things like elevation,
temperature, rainfall, average wind,....

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)

maclenna@sunybcs.uucp (Mark MacLennan) (09/16/88)

For those who are interested, a public domain map database of the world
(coastlines, state and county boundaries, rivers, lakes) is available on
5 MS-DOS 360K floppies from Micro Doc, 3108 Jackson St., Bellevue, NE 68005.
It is a reduced and compressed version of World Data Bank II files and
contains some 178,000 points.  A fortran (I think) program is included on
the disk to extract the coordinates.  It cost $10 last year but you might
want to write and see if this data is still available.
This item was written up in the July 1987 issue of IEEE Computer Graphics
and Applications (page 73).  I would imagine that there must be other
sources of this data out there ...

awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) (09/18/88)

I have received enough requests for the my WDBII reduction software that it
has posted it to "comp.sources.misc", and should appear after the moderator
has a look through.

To recap the earlier discussions, this database contains the entire world
at a resolution of about six million points; it is perhaps the most detailed
digital dataset giving global coverage readily available. I have no intention
of posting the original data or reductions thereof, excerpted or otherwise.

    /Alan Paeth
    Computer Graphics Laboratory
    University of Waterloo

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (09/19/88)

Has anyone developed a way of using the Starchart software for land
maps?
		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (09/25/88)

On September 13th James Peterson posted a map of the North Ameri-
can Continent (noted here as the NAC) that was quite a neat job.
I worked it over and examined areas of the map that I have an
interest in and found some problems.  This is not a flame about
wasted transmission time, etc., but is a note about the accuracy
of the data submitted.

I have compared those data with data taken from the US Map data
disk (disk RD 9.0 from Public Brand Software, 1-800-426-DISK) and
have noted that the data for the states of Wisconsin-Michigan-
Indiana-Illinois, which together form the boundary of Lake Michi-
gan give a quite different shape to the lake than does the NAC
data set.

The difference is fairly large and is not just traceable to a few
wild points.  I include below the data for the arm of Lake Michi-
gan called Green Bay as an example, although the data is equally
bad in other areas.  As a single example, I have found the loca-
tion of the city of Green Bay on the two data sets (that point is
located on the data sets below) and find it to be (-88.0262,
44.5256) on the RD 9.0 disk and at (-88.116, 44.331) on the NAC
data set.  The difference is 14.16 miles, well outside of the
apparent tolerances of the two data sets.  Finally, the RD 9.0
data set agrees very well with the published maps of the states
that I have studied.  The precision of these state maps is clear-
ly better than 2 or 3 miles.

Finally, although I have not seen them, disks RD 6.0, RD 7.0  and
RD 8.0 from Public Brand Software are a world data set that, from
its description, seems to be the same data as was submitted by
Mr. Peterson.  Nowhere in my copy of disk RD 9.0 is there any
indication of authorship or claim of copywrite.

Does any of this matter?  In my judgment, if we are interested in
pretty pictures, then we can accept anything that gives such
pictures.  If we want maps that matter, we better look more
closely.

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Leonard P. Levine               e-mail len@evax.milw.wisc.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              Modem  (414) 962-6228 |
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

The RD 9.0 data for Wisconsin - Green Bay Area:

-88.0084 45.7882  -87.9799 45.7722
-87.9799 45.7722  -87.9026 45.7584
-87.9026 45.7584  -87.8380 45.7204
-87.8380 45.7204  -87.8051 45.6892
-87.8051 45.6892  -87.8114 45.6743
-87.8114 45.6743  -87.8393 45.6601
-87.8393 45.6601  -87.8193 45.6387
-87.8193 45.6387  -87.8048 45.6137
-87.8048 45.6137  -87.8122 45.5857
-87.8122 45.5857  -87.8378 45.5640
-87.8378 45.5640  -87.8266 45.5316
-87.8266 45.5316  -87.8236 45.4957
-87.8236 45.4957  -87.8535 45.4514
-87.8535 45.4514  -87.8753 45.4051
-87.8753 45.4051  -87.8960 45.3756
-87.8960 45.3756  -87.8657 45.3501
-87.8657 45.3501  -87.8336 45.3490
-87.8336 45.3490  -87.7439 45.3686
-87.7439 45.3686  -87.6976 45.3802
-87.6976 45.3802  -87.6732 45.3473
-87.6732 45.3473  -87.6952 45.2991
-87.6952 45.2991  -87.7366 45.2422
-87.7366 45.2422  -87.7499 45.2050
-87.7499 45.2050  -87.7461 45.1822
-87.7461 45.1822  -87.7000 45.1543
-87.7000 45.1543  -87.6677 45.1192
-87.6677 45.1192  -87.6258 45.1083
-87.6258 45.1083  -87.5919 45.0977
-87.5919 45.0977  -87.6102 45.0664
-87.6102 45.0664  -87.6171 45.0045
-87.6171 45.0045  -87.6340 44.9919
-87.6340 44.9919  -87.7255 44.9782
-87.7255 44.9782  -87.7615 44.9587
-87.7615 44.9587  -87.7969 44.9468
-87.7969 44.9468  -87.8148 44.9173
-87.8148 44.9173  -87.8224 44.8837
-87.8224 44.8837  -87.8512 44.8508
-87.8512 44.8508  -87.8872 44.8275
-87.8872 44.8275  -87.9121 44.8133
-87.9121 44.8133  -87.9201 44.7722
-87.9201 44.7722  -87.9787 44.7290
-87.9787 44.7290  -87.9803 44.7027
-87.9803 44.7027  -87.9848 44.6746
-87.9848 44.6746  -88.0137 44.6380
-88.0137 44.6380  -88.0110 44.5984
-88.0110 44.5984  -88.0254 44.5801
-88.0254 44.5801  -88.0476 44.5639
-88.0476 44.5639  -88.0461 44.5450
-88.0461 44.5450  -88.0262 44.5256
-88.0262 44.5256  -87.9960 44.5434   <<City of Green Bay
-87.9960 44.5434  -87.9299 44.5431
-87.9299 44.5431  -87.8995 44.6022
-87.8995 44.6022  -87.8283 44.6375
-87.8283 44.6375  -87.7668 44.6466
-87.7668 44.6466  -87.7496 44.6648
-87.7496 44.6648  -87.6934 44.7513
-87.6934 44.7513  -87.6346 44.8320
-87.6346 44.8320  -87.5962 44.8494
-87.5962 44.8494  -87.5726 44.8448
-87.5726 44.8448  -87.5624 44.8388
-87.5624 44.8388  -87.5464 44.8401
-87.5464 44.8401  -87.5349 44.8529
-87.5349 44.8529  -87.4756 44.8639
-87.4756 44.8639  -87.4638 44.8804
-87.4638 44.8804  -87.4473 44.8873
-87.4473 44.8873  -87.4285 44.8904
-87.4285 44.8904  -87.4082 44.8765
-87.4082 44.8765  -87.4015 44.8593
-87.4015 44.8593  -87.3866 44.8456
-87.3866 44.8456  -87.3673 44.8543
-87.3673 44.8543  -87.3579 44.8746
-87.3579 44.8746  -87.3788 44.9149
-87.3788 44.9149  -87.3664 44.9389
-87.3664 44.9389  -87.3376 45.0037
-87.3376 45.0037  -87.3169 45.0312
-87.3169 45.0312  -87.2781 45.0504
-87.2781 45.0504  -87.2620 45.0874
-87.2620 45.0874  -87.2328 45.1202
-87.2328 45.1202  -87.2316 45.1711
-87.2316 45.1711  -87.2101 45.1721
-87.2101 45.1721  -87.1788 45.1634
-87.1788 45.1634  -87.1490 45.1679
-87.1490 45.1679  -87.1529 45.1869
-87.1529 45.1869  -87.1040 45.1982
-87.1040 45.1982  -87.1160 45.2495
-87.1160 45.2495  -87.0749 45.2611
-87.0749 45.2611  -87.0760 45.2818
-87.0760 45.2818  -87.0645 45.2927
-87.0645 45.2927  -87.0410 45.2842
-87.0410 45.2842  -87.0191 45.2909
-87.0191 45.2909  -86.9821 45.2856
-86.9821 45.2856  -86.9664 45.2812
-86.9664 45.2812  -86.9575 45.2583
-86.9575 45.2583  -86.9695 45.2418
-86.9695 45.2418  -87.0066 45.2131
-87.0066 45.2131  -87.0355 45.1860
-87.0355 45.1860  -87.0428 45.1618
-87.0428 45.1618  -87.0398 45.1316
-87.0398 45.1316  -87.0423 45.0996
-87.0423 45.0996  -87.0759 45.0802
-87.0759 45.0802  -87.1118 45.0647
-87.1118 45.0647  -87.1252 45.0294
-87.1252 45.0294  -87.1402 45.0075
-87.1402 45.0075  -87.1712 44.9860
-87.1712 44.9860  -87.1922 44.9549
-87.1922 44.9549  -87.1988 44.9043
-87.1988 44.9043  -87.2561 44.8501
-87.2561 44.8501  -87.3129 44.8014
-87.3129 44.8014  -87.3412 44.7423
-87.3412 44.7423  -87.3597 44.7072
-87.3597 44.7072  -87.3683 44.6624
-87.3683 44.6624  -87.3834 44.6366
-87.3834 44.6366  -87.4206 44.5985
-87.4206 44.5985  -87.4641 44.5475
-87.4641 44.5475  -87.4898 44.4845
-87.4898 44.4845  -87.5123 44.4289
-87.5123 44.4289  -87.5266 44.3768
-87.5266 44.3768  -87.5173 44.3219
-87.5173 44.3219  -87.5175 44.2825
-87.5175 44.2825  -87.5001 44.2311
-87.5001 44.2311  -87.5055 44.1918
-87.5055 44.1918  -87.5689 44.1510
-87.5689 44.1510  -87.6313 44.1231
-87.6313 44.1231  -87.6488 44.0993
-87.6488 44.0993  -87.6492 44.0561
-87.6492 44.0561  -87.6858 44.0199

The equivalent data from the North American data set:

-87.325 44.956 -87.342 44.920
-87.342 44.920 -87.542 44.694
-87.367 45.387 -87.284 45.478
-87.367 46.377 -87.617 46.483
-87.375 44.639 -87.292 44.859
-87.433 41.287 -87.550 41.377
-87.442 48.707 -87.175 48.685
-87.450 44.565 -87.375 44.639
-87.475 45.339 -87.367 45.387
-87.483 45.278 -87.475 45.339
-87.517 44.454 -87.450 44.565
-87.542 44.694 -87.725 44.448
-87.550 41.377 -87.575 41.416
-87.550 44.350 -87.550 44.393
-87.550 44.393 -87.517 44.454
-87.575 41.416 -87.692 41.674
-87.617 46.483 -87.708 46.543
-87.667 45.102 -87.483 45.278
-87.692 41.674 -87.742 41.982
-87.708 46.543 -87.758 46.561
-87.717 48.736 -87.442 48.707
-87.725 44.448 -87.841 44.313
-87.742 41.982 -87.816 42.104
-87.758 46.561 -87.800 46.590
-87.800 46.590 -87.833 46.637
-87.816 42.104 -87.833 42.155
-87.825 42.206 -87.858 42.282
-87.825 43.855 -87.550 44.350
-87.833 42.155 -87.825 42.206
-87.833 43.488 -87.833 43.544
-87.833 43.544 -87.825 43.855
-87.833 46.637 -87.858 46.637
-87.841 43.500 -87.833 43.488
-87.841 44.313 -88.016 44.227
-87.858 42.282 -87.900 42.371
-87.858 46.637 -87.866 46.661
-87.866 46.661 -87.908 46.661
-87.883 42.537 -87.933 42.720
-87.900 42.371 -87.883 42.537
-87.908 43.294 -87.916 43.369
-87.908 46.661 -87.925 46.679
-87.916 43.369 -87.841 43.500
-87.925 46.679 -87.966 46.691
-87.925 47.325 -87.966 47.348
-87.933 42.720 -87.941 42.847
-87.941 42.847 -87.958 42.904
-87.941 44.767 -87.667 45.102
-87.950 43.130 -87.908 43.294
-87.958 42.904 -87.958 42.948
-87.958 42.948 -87.958 43.067
-87.958 43.067 -87.950 43.130
-87.966 46.691 -88.033 46.697
-87.966 47.348 -88.083 47.360
-88.016 44.227 -88.025 44.239
-88.016 48.747 -87.717 48.736
-88.025 44.239 -88.083 44.257
-88.033 46.697 -88.158 46.691
-88.083 44.257 -88.116 44.331
-88.083 47.360 -88.374 47.331
-88.100 44.528 -87.941 44.767
-88.116 44.331 -88.150 44.362   << City of Green Bay
-88.141 48.776 -88.016 48.747
-88.150 44.362 -88.100 44.528
-88.158 46.691 -88.166 46.673

<<end of file>>

ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab) (09/26/88)

In article <6870@uwmcsd1.UUCP> len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) writes:
>On September 13th James Peterson posted a map of the North Ameri-
>can Continent (noted here as the NAC) that was quite a neat job.
>I worked it over and examined areas of the map that I have an
>interest in and found some problems.  [ ... ]

	He then goes on to describe the problems, and includes some more
accurate data.

	This is all perfectly wonderful, but how do I patch the existing map
data that was posted recently with this new data?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

len@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (Leonard P Levine) (09/28/88)

From article <7214@well.UUCP>, by ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo L. Schwab):

> 	This is all perfectly wonderful, but how do I patch the existing map
> data that was posted recently with this new data?

That was just what I was wanting to do myself, I was going to include the
state outlines into the continental map.  But the continental map is a mess.
Not only is it in noticeable error, but it is strangely organized.

I can post the US States data, it is about 300K and if totally plotted, it
will produce a nice state outline map of the lower 48 with the real continental
border visable.  How to merge the two... not sure right now.