[comp.graphics] Luxo Jr. video

pkh@sam.cs.cmu.edu (Ping Kang Hsiung) (10/03/88)

Does any know how (and at where) I might be able to locate
the Luxo Jr. by Pixar on video?  Is it in the Siggraph
Video Collection? Thanks.

beach@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rick Beach) (10/05/88)

An excerpt of Luxo Jr. appears in SIGGRAPH Video Review Issue 26.
This issue is the electronic theatre presentation from the CHI+GI'87
conference held in Toronto, Canada during April 1987.  (In VHS format
this is accompanied by the first of 3 hours of the CHI+GI'87 technical
video stream as a combined issue 26+27.)

An excerpt of both Luxo Jr. and Red's Dream appear in SIGGRAPH Video Review
issue 30, the "Visualization: State of the Art" summary of SIGGRAPH'87.

Issue 26 (3/4" U-Matic) $50
Issue 26&27 (VHS) $50
Issue 30 (2-hours 3/4" U-Matic with reference binder) $395
Issue 30 (2-hours VHS with reference binder) $395

Order videotapes through the
ACM Order Department
PO Box 64145
Baltimore, MD 21264

Credit card purchases may be made by calling (800)342-6626.
From Maryland, Alaska and outside the U.S., please call (301)528-4261.

Richard J. Beach
SIGGRAPH Editor-in-Chief

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (10/10/88)

In article <49@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> paquette@.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
>In article <431@arisia.Xerox.COM>, beach@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rick Beach) writes:
>  .. stuff deteled..
>>
>> From Maryland, Alaska and outside the U.S., please call (301)528-4261.
>Why is it most American companies think that there is nothing north
>of the 49th parallel?? Most companies only get 1-800 numbers for
>the States and force thier Canadian customers to call long-distance.
>Granted the Canadian market is not a big as the American.. but it is
>there just the same.

To set the record straight, the fault lies not with Rick Beach (who is a
Canadian), but with ACM (no, the "A" does not stand for "American", but they
think it does).

Yes, I live in Canada (but am an American).

Now (the part worth posting):  If you live in Canada (or anywhere else),
you can reach US 800 numbers by calling a friend in the US who has a
semi-sophisticated phone system (usually this means a work phone).  SL-1
is an example (which I'll use here -- other Centrex-like systems have
similar features).

You call up a US friend who answers.  Your US friend hits "Conference-3" (or
"Conference-6") on his phone, then dials for an outside line (usually 9)
and then dials 1-800-***-****.  When the party answers, he hits the
"Conference-3" button again.  The three of you are now talking.  Your
friend hangs up.  The two of you are now talking.  [Note: This works equally
well if your friend is a she.]

Cost to you:  Long distance to your friend (drop a perpendicular to the
US and locate a friend there).

Cost to your friend: Zip (unless his/her company has a screwball accounting
system, in which case there may a minimal charge more or less equivalent to
a local brief call).

Cost to the 800 party: Whatever they pay from your friends's location in
the US, which they were (presumably) willing to pay anyway.

helen@prism.TMC.COM (10/11/88)

I picked up an order card at SIGGRAPH that lets you order *complete*
versions of both Luxo Jr. and Red's Dream.  They are probably show
specials, but are worth checking into.

Luxo Jr.      1/2 inch NTSC-VHS only
              Special Price $14.95 per copy + Shipping
Red's Dream   1/2 inch NTSC-VHS only
              Special Price $19.95 per copy + Shipping
Both Films    Special Price $34.95 per set -- Includes Shipping

U.S. Shipping is $5 for the first copy, and $2 for each
additional copy.  Orders must be prepaid by check or credit
card to qualify for the special prices.

Contact:
              Direct Cinema Limited
              Post Office Box 69799
              Los Angeles, CA  90069        Phone: (213) 652-8000