From arizona!nbc1!abs@philabs.philips.com Tue Oct  4 11:32:33 1988
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 10:33:53 edt
From: Andrew Siegel <arizona!abs@nbc1.GE.COM>
To: arizona.edu!naucse!rwi@mcnc.org
Subject: Re:  NBC graphics

Bob:

Thanks for your note.  There really is no general compilation of our work.
The artists usually prepare SIGGRAPH tapes, but I don't think any of these
have ever been seen or used at SIGGRAPH.

If you want to see a great example of our work, watch NBC's coverage of
Election Night.  The opening animation was done by Steve Giangrasso,
one of the News Division's graphic artists.  Basically, the camera swoops
along what seems to be a presidential "hall of fame".  Passing the
camera on either side are marble "kiosks", each with a president's
portrait on it, apparently in hammered silver (look for the glint of
the light on the nose and hair of the presidents).  The kiosks sit on
a shiny marble floor, in which we can see the reflections of the
kiosks.  When the camera finishes its traversal, it pulls up and back,
and we see that the kiosks are positioned to read "88" from above.

Steve has also created some crystal faceted stars that are very
realistic.  You may see this in another animation.

Finally, during the bulk of the show, you'll see the work of us
programmers, when vote statistics are displayed by our computer
controlled display system.  (Not as flashy, but very sophisticated
underneath.)

Catch ya' later!
					Andy
--
Andrew Siegel				NBC Computer Imaging, New York, NY
{philabs,steinmetz,ge-dab}!nbc1!abs	(212)664-5776

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona   Northern Arizona University
  NAU Box 15600                    *usual disclaimers*
  Flagstaff, Az.                   ...arizona!naucse!rwi
  86011                            602-523-2052

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/21/88)

Well!

I had some dealings with ABC and they were very helpful.  They only
asked that we respect their copyrights.  Got some nice footage
(non-flying logos stuff).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."