[comp.graphics] What is the Renderman Standard?

rburns%master@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (10/20/88)

I saw reference in the NeXT postings to the "Renderman Standard". It
was billed as the PostScript of 3-D.  Exactly what is the Renderman
Standard and how can I find out more about it? Thanks.

david@epicb.UUCP (David P. Cook) (10/21/88)

In article <73701@sun.uucp> rburns%master@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) writes:
>I saw reference in the NeXT postings to the "Renderman Standard". It
>was billed as the PostScript of 3-D.  Exactly what is the Renderman
>Standard and how can I find out more about it? Thanks.

Randy:

  The RENDERMAN Standard is a graphics standard being pushed primarily by
  PIXAR and is being backed by some other big name companies.  Simply put,
  RENDERMAN is a rendering interface which exists between creation code and
  the end display... therefore, somewhat display independent (this is why it
  is being adopted by many manufacturers).  PIXAR has done the most amount of
  work in rendering algorithms (state-of-the-art work, that is) and thus, feel
  they have good knowledge concerning the needs of rendering algorithms.  The
  rendering system can handle textures and surfaces, volumes (I think) and a
  who host of other "realistic" methods.  It appears fairly simple to implement.

  To find out more about RENDERMAN, try contacting PIXAR... Though I am sure
  that several of the PIXER readers of this newsgroup will be chiming in here
  to fill you in more detail... or to yell at me for my ignorance.
--
         | David P. Cook            Net:  uunet!epicb!david        |
         | Truevision Inc.  |   "Sometimes I cover my mouth with   |